24

Rich's POV (Oooooo a new one)

Why did Michael make me leave? What the fuck? My curiosity is getting the better of me. I start creeping around the house to a different window. I peek in to make sure I won't be seen. The coast is clear.

His parents' actions are large and anger-fueled. Their faces are ones of pure anger and rage as their mouths move. I can only assume they must be yelling. Michael's father slaps Michael across the face before his mother drags him away.

I sink into a sitting position under the window. What do I do? Jeremy. He's sure to know about this right?

I pull out my phone and start running to Jeremy's house. I dial his number and press call. He answers after the third ring.

"Hey Rich, aren't you working on a project with Michael?"

"About Michael," I start. "His parents came home and he ma-" I begin to ramble but get cut off.

"Are you still there?" Jeremy asks with urgency in his voice.

"I'm halfway down the block his house is on. I was going to get you!"

"Stay there. Call the cops, I'll get there soon."

"Will do."

Jeremy's POV

I hang up the phone and grab the first jacket I see. I run outside and start towards Michael's house.

His parents were supposed to be on a business trip! Why are they here? When did their trip end? It's been like two weeks, surely it can't be over yet. Could it?

I find Rich and ask him if the cops are on their way. He answers with a yes and we run to Michael's house to wait out front. Everything after the cops show up is a blur.

Everything during that month is a blur. Michael was asked questions to get an idea of what happened even though two cops witnessed it. His parents were taken to court and were given a five year prison sentence. Michael was sent to his aunt and uncle's house in Camden to stay until he can legally live on his own. I won't see him for another year except for his visits, which he plans to do often.

Sometime during that blur, I cut it off with Christine. I was too distant for her anyway apparently. We still talk often though. At least we're on good terms.

Michael is packing his stuff to go to his aunt's and uncle's house. I'm helping. It's uncomfortably silent.

"Do you promise to come back at least on the weekends?" I ask, breaking the awkward silence.

"Of course. It's not like I'm in California. It's just Camden," Michael answers.

"Yeah but that's at least an hour away."

"I have a car," he says in a 'duh' tone. He smiles and looks at me, rolling up his sleeve. I see his pac-man tattoo and smile, rolling up my own sleeve. "Remember when we got these?"

"Yeah," he smiles, "I remember you crying like a baby," he chuckles.

"Well, duh, it was my first tattoo! How else would I react?"

"Hold it back and bite your lip like the rest of us? Just don't be a pussy," he laughs again. At least he's still laughing. Nothing seems to bring his attitude down for long. He's a trooper. He's strong. "Jere? Jere, what are you looking at?"

I blush. "Sorry, I kinda dozed off there."

"I wouldn't blame you if you were staring. Just look at me. I am fab-u-lous," Michael says, z-snapping during the fabulous.

"You're a dork. Of course I wasn't staring. Why would I wanna stare at you anyway?"

He fake gasps, hold his hand over his heart dramatically. "How dare you?"

"I dare because I love you," I say before turning back to the boxes we have laid out. A pair of hands snake around my waist as a soft kiss is pressed to the back of my neck. I hum and turn around in the pair of arms to face the one and only Michael. My boyfriend, Michael. "I'd love to keep going with this but you have to be at the house in a week and you have a lot of shit."

"I know I have a lot of shit but half of it is from you. Should I show you the keepsakes box?"

"N-No I'm fine," I mumble nervously.

"I love you too by the way."

"What?" I look directly at him. The faint scar on his cheek catches my eye.

"You said you love me earlier. I never said it back."

I let out a hum and rub my thumb over the slightly discolored skin. "Jere," Michael starts. I don't let him finish and cut him off with a chaste kiss.

"I know. You don't want to talk about it. The scars are just reminders that should be forgotten."

"And they should stay forgotten. Don't think I don't notice you glancing at it." He let's go of my waist and goes back to packing.

"You know I love you right?"

"Of course I do. I love you too Jere," he says, still packing.

"Then you know I'd do anything within my power so you're not upset right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I didn't mean to upset you Michael."

"You didn't. Why would you think that?"

"You always get upset when I mention them."

"Look, they don't exist anymore. That way you can't mention them and I can't get mad. Deal?" He smiles and holds out his hand. I shake it.

"Deal."