Chapter 9

My body suddenly started to shake, as every muscle in my neck tensed up like no tomorrow. The second after that, my teeth started to chatter, and I could feel my lips turning blue even though Clare's warmth was still pressed against mine. Unfortunately, I wish I could have done more. My body was in the final stages of needing to escape, which ultimately ruined the moment. Without warning, I pushed myself away from Clare, breaking the hold she had around my neck. Simultaneously, like a hickey, the ice cream had left its mark on my flesh.

Meanwhile, Clare seemed to be fighting something else mentally as she stood there while her arms fell back down to her sides. The look on her face turned from pure euphoria and joy as if life couldn't get any better, to disappointment and confusion. My decision to retreat from the kiss had left a scar on her, and I couldn't let her think that this was her fault as I quickly tried to recollect myself.

"I'm sorry," Clare said, looking down at her feet.

"It's not your fault Clare," I told her as quickly as possible, but she only shook her head.

"But you moved away from me because of the kiss, right?" She asked, and that was the last thing I wanted her to think.

"What? No. I moved away because your ice cream cone was pressing against my neck, and I was starting to get a little chilly." I joked to show her that I wasn't mad.

Thankfully it seemed to do the trick and lighten the mood. Then the more I laughed, the more I started to find it entertaining. Showing Clare the entertainment I got from all of this seemed to help her cope with her feelings as she suddenly joined in and laughed with me. There were only so many sights in life that I cherished, and seeing the smile on Clare's face when she laughed was one that I would hold dear. It was like time had slowed down, and I watched as her hair blew in the wind, the freckles on her nose, and the sparkle in her eyes. They all captivated me, and if I cared to try, I'd never be able to pull my eyes off the girl.

"Oh, seriously?" She said mid-laugh. Then she looked down at the ice cream cone and noticed the top had been crushed. "Well, I guess we have our funny first date story now."

Hearing those words made my heart race. Something between us was blossoming, and I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face. However, what fell from my lips were words that even caught me by surprise.

"Yea. Hopefully, next time we can have a funny moment that isn't so cold." I joked while she simply stopped and looked at me with wide eyes.

"Next...time?" She mumbled, and I wasn't sure I heard her right as she remained oblivious to her emotions.

She was blushing intensely, her cheeks turning a rosy red shade, but as much as I wanted to watch her fight whatever was going on in her head. I couldn't since I was walking through a minefield of my own. It was like my mind had opened Pandora's box. Hardly thinking twice, I walked around to the other side of the car and looked at Clare one last time before opening the door and climbing in. Clare seemed to notice my absence, and a few moments later, she followed my lead and got in the passenger side. The two of us were still lost in thought, likely because of the same thing, but again my heart was on the verge of ripping in half as it debated who was the better girl. Hannah or Clare, since I could only describe the kiss with Clare as magical.

It didn't take long after that for both of us to click in our seatbelts, and for me to start the car once more. The engine roared to life, and we inevitably pulled away from the ice cream shop that, till the day we died, would be where Clare and I had our first date. Meanwhile, inside the car, there was only a growing silence as we contemplated the kiss and the feelings that came with it. I couldn't shake my mixed emotions and occasionally looked over at Clare to simply take in the sight of her. The feelings that had blossomed between us were only becoming more intense.