Chapter 10

I wasn't sure what more I could say to Daniel as a sudden silence started to form between us. Simply staring at the car, the heat beat down on us, and I was doing everything to fight my anti-social behaviour. I figured I could at least ask him one question. I struggled to talk to people, but thankfully, the door behind us swung open as if on cue with our conversation. The sound of the hinges squeaking under pressure eased my emotions. Following the sound of the door was the sound of footsteps, making me peer over my shoulder. I watched as the girls stepped out with a couple glasses full of Julie's famous lemonade.

Watching intently, I waited to see how things would play out and whether Daniel would give Clare and me some space, which was when he patted me on the shoulder. I got my answer while watching the man stand up and walk closer to the door, taking one of the glasses of lemonade from Julie's hand. The moment that followed, Clare took her father's spot and handed me one of the two glasses in her hands. A warm smile rested on my face as I took it, but the presence of her parents was still as clear as day behind us.

I didn't want to say anything or do anything that might give her parents an idea about what happened between us today. A few more moments ticked by. Thankfully, Daniel and Julie weren't helicopter parents, as they both went inside and gave Clare and me some alone time. Taking a sip of the lemonade, I couldn't shake the paranoia of thinking her parents were still watching us from the shadows, but I figured they at least couldn't hear us. Clare proved to be a good distraction and freed me from that thought. The two of us sat there in one of the most intimate silences, where we didn't need to talk since we were happy just being side by side.

It wasn't until we were listening to the wind blowing past us that Clare made the next move and casually laid her head on my shoulder. Feeling the new weight she added triggered me to look over at her, only to be greeted by the top of her head. It didn't take long for a smile to reform on my face as I looked back out at the street. I didn't want to disturb her. Keeping one arm locked in place, I then used the other to take a few more sips from the glass of lemonade. Clare always told me she had the most popular lemonade stand on the block when she was growing up. That it wasn't until the first time I had Julie's lemonade that it made sense why, and clearly, that hadn't changed since the next thing I knew, the glass was emptied. Looking back at Clare, I moved my shoulder, prompting her to raise her head and stare at me.

"Comfy?" I playfully asked as she smiled with a mischievous grin.

"I was. What's up?" She asked as I looked away from her, not wanting to see the sad look in her eyes when I told her what I needed to do.

"I think I'm going to head out," I mentioned while placing the glass between us.

"Okay. Well, thank you for spending the day with me, James. I had a lot of fun." She said.

"No problem, and I agree it was fun. We should do it again sometime." I said as her face lit up once more with excitement, yet I struggled to believe the words coming from my lips.

Not missing a beat as the words left me. With the gentlest of touches, Clare leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. In my head, I couldn't help but see it as her accepting my offer to hang out again, and with that, she sat up while I rose to my feet. However, I didn't get very far when I felt Clare's hand wrap around my wrist. Turning back to face Clare, I was surprised by an unmistakable look of concern radiating from her eyes.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, not knowing what sort of answer I would get in return.

"Text me...when you're home, okay?" She said.

"Wow, you're really starting to sound like my actual girlfriend." I joked, but she remained serious.

"Shush, I just- I just want to finalize plans for the trip, is all." She said while trying to cover up any ulterior motives.