1 - I died.

Before that fateful day, I was the happiest girl alive.

I had my longtime boyfriend with me. We were living happily. We go out and hang out like normal couples would do. And we loved each other so much.

It was during our anniversary when everything started. When everything started to turn around.

“Hey, yes, I’ll be right there ASAP. I promise.” I told him over the phone.

“Arasso. Be careful on your way, okay?”

“Ne… I love you.”

“I love you more.” He said and that made my heart jump in glee.

His every word was my source of joy. Whenever he tells me he loves me, it was like sparks were flying and it makes my heart want to jump out of my chest. He’s magical… and all sorts of good things to me.

“Maybe I should hurry up. I’m sure that kid misses me already… Right. I should hurry and meet him for our 2nd Anniversary!” I uttered to myself.

I went out of the house on a hurry on my bike. The restaurant we are about to meet is 10 blocks away from here so I guess I would be needing 15 to 20 minutes going there.

“Let’s go!” I shouted happily and strode off fast.

Along the way, traffic got heavy and it was hard to pass through since the way I am supposed to take got blocked. From not too far away I heard sirens wailing like crazy.

“What now… is there an accident?” I mumbled to myself and extended my neck to take a peek at the street just across.

There were cars which collided and people were huddled in a circle next to the car. Several police officers were clearing off the road and the ambulances I saw stopped next to the scene. People from inside the ambulance hurried and placed a blood covered body of a guy? I couldn’t recognize but he seems to be around my age. I wonder what happened. It would be bad if he dies… no… I hope he doesn’t. It would be saddening if he dies and leaves someone precious behind.

I sighed.

“Why am I even thinking about someone I don’t know?” I mumbled to myself.

I was about to continue on the road when my phone rang.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“SunHee-ah, I finally got in touch with you. I couldn’t reach you a while back…”

“Oh, mianhe oppa. Why did you call I’m not too far away from—“

“Well I have something urgent to go to right now, can we just postpone today’s date and let’s do it some other day?” He asked, his voice sounded like he was really in a hurry.

“Oh~ is that so? Then… I guess I could not do anything about it. Let’s move it then.” I said, with a trail of sadness in my voice.

“Okay. I’m really really sorry. You know how much I want to see you so… I do really feel bad we can’t meet today for our anniversary but please don’t be too sad.” He said.

“I know. I know. Don’t worry. I’m… maybe, just going home… or something.” I said. “I’m hanging up.”

I ended the call and placed back the phone in my pocket.

“Such a bad day for me.” I mumbled.

I drove back slowly, taking my time, and inhaling the breath of air around me.

“I guess, I’m spending this day alone…” I sighed again.

“But maybe... I can just bug up Hye Rim-ah. Right!”

I turned around again and then hurried to my best friend’s home just blocks away from here.

I was riding my bike happily, considering that I’ll be seeing my best friend again after summer has started. It has been weeks and I guess hanging around with her wouldn’t be too bad for me.

I turned around their street and went down my bike since it is a downhill road going to her house which is at the dead end. I was 3 houses away from her house when I saw her and a guy in front of her house.

Her boyfriend?

Wait.

I know that guy.

Hye Rim leans in closer and the guy kissed her. They pulled away and looked at each other happily. My heart sunk as I saw that happen. For some reason it didn’t look right that I saw my bestfriend with my boyfriend with my very eyes.

Have they been cheating on me for so long?

“Why?” I whispered as tears started to pour like a waterfall from my eyes.

This doesn’t make sense. This is not right. No… this is just a dream. Should I slap myself to prove it wrong?

I started to walk away though my legs felt unstable. My eyes must have just played with me. That’s not my boyfriend. And my best friend is not that kind of person.

I heard the sudden thunder resounding from all over heaven. And then rain started to pour… as if it was crying with me. I cried out loud as the rain started to drench my whole body. It felt cold and uncomforting. The dark sky wasn’t even helping. It didn’t feel good. I never liked the rain but it was the worst day today to be in the rain.

I hated it more today.

It was freezing cold but I didn’t mind. I just want someone or something to wake me up and tell me this is all a dream, because if what I saw is true then I might not know what I will be doing. I don’t know if I’ll ever be sane enough after seeing that happen for real.

I continued to walk till I was in the pedestrian with a lot of people going to cross the street. The red light brightened up and everyone started to walk going to the street across from here. I look up to the other side and I felt emptier to see the place we were supposed to meet there. I slowly started to cross the street. I wanted to see the place before going more insane. As I crossed the street I heard the cars before me honking loudly but I didn’t mind. They were the least of my concern.

Well, they were.

Not until a car sped up in front of me. It was fast and the last thing I knew that happen was that I fell down on the ground and lost consciousness.

The next thing I know was that I was inside a white room. Voices here and there were being heard.

“Doctor, it’s another car accident.” Someone said.

I tried to open my already weary eyes and saw someone on the next bed from mine. It was a guy. He wasn’t moving, and people around his bed were panicking and thrusting on his chest.

Is he dead? Poor him.

Am I too?

Then aren’t we the same then?

DEATH.

Before, I was scared of facing death. But as I am experiencing it now. Actually, it isn’t that bad to die, I guess. It doesn’t hurt much. You won’t feel pain. You won’t feel your own body. You will come into flashbacks of good things that happen to you. It isn’t lonely, knowing the fact that I’m dying right beside someone who is also dying.

Will we see each other in heaven?

As my surroundings started to become a blur again, my eyes closed and I was submerged into long, and total darkness.

I was dead.