Chapter 2

I woke this morning from a loud scream. Looking outside, I saw my best friend lying on her doorstep. Why her? She didn't do anything wrong! Nobody does anything wrong! Tears were streaming down my face. You'd think that we'd be used to death, but its a completely different story. Each person that dies in town, we mourn. We have a close knit community. Everyone knows each other. So when our town loses its children, it hurts everyone of us.

The older kids say that the Cat has long, sharp claws, and a large hat to cover his mangled eyes. But how would they know? As far as I know, anyone who has ever seen the Cat was murdered. Zach asks me daily if we'll be next. I try to assure him that we won't, but I can tell he doesn't believe me. I'm not sure that I believe me either.

The town has a curfew so you don't get stolen and murdered by the Cat. Everyone has to be in their houses by 7pm. Everyone obeys this cerfew without question because of how afraid we all are of him.

Zach and I think sometimes about what our lives would be if the Cat never came to St. George. We hope that our lives wouldn't be run by fear or sorrow, and that we would have many happy memories.

Now, our lives aren't all that bad. We can still play with our friends, hug our mothers and fathers, and enjoy quality time doing things we love. Did the Cat not get that? Did he never have good memories with his parents? I sometimes wonder what goes on in the Cat's head. Why he goes after children. What drives him to kill.

Walking down the road, I saw a short, blue haired creature run into the forest. What kind of creature has blue hair? Walking towards the trees, I was in some sort of trance. I really wanted to follow that thing. My trance-like state was interrupted by my mother.

"Holly! Breakfast is ready!"

I felt like a weight lifted off of my shoulders as I walked back towards my house.

"What was that?" Zach asked me as I sat down for breakfast.

"What was what?" I replied, not really knowing what he meant.

"Why were you going towards the forest?" he was frowning. "You know it's dangerous."

"I... I don't really know." I said sighing. "It felt like I had to go into it." I started eating my green eggs and ham. "I saw a creature run in there. It had blue hair."

"Blue hair? Holly, you're crazy. Nothing in that forest would have blue hair." He looked at me, eating his food.

"But it really did!" I sighed. "Why don't you believe me?"

"Because Holly. What creature would have blue hair? Its crazy."

That day passed slowly. Sitting at my bedroom window, I watched the rain fall down. It was now dark outside and I felt defeated. Zach and I have always been so close but he thinks I'm crazy now because of my 'hallucination' from this morning. I was about to go to bed when I saw a figure walking through town. It was passed curfew, who in their right mind would be outside now? Thats when his appearance hit me. He was wearing a red and white hat. His nails were long and sharp. He had dark fur. This wasn't a person. This was the Cat.

(Sorry for the wait, I apologize if you don't like the chapter)