Chapter 1

Who is he? The man stealing our children? Why is he taking and slaughtering them?

Questions we may never know. What we do know is that everyone calls him the Cat. More popularly known as the Cat in the Hat.

My name is Holly Beirshack, and I live in a little town called St. George. Every morning, another child is found on their front patio, beaten, clawed, and broken. It pains me to hear the cries of the children's parents, finding their child, who has been missing for a day or two, dead on their doorstep. I just hope I won't be next.

The children who are taken always have one thing in common: They were home alone. My mother makes sure that we always have someone at home with my brother and I. My brother's name is Zach. Considering that Zach and I are both 14, we could be the Cat's next victims any day now.

I never fall asleep without making sure all of the doors and windows are locked. It's terrifying living here. We would leave, if the Cat would let us. Thousands of families have tried to leave, but they end up just like the children. Here in St. George, you are constantly living in fear of the Cat and his dastardly pets, Thing 1 and Thing 2. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are almost worse than the Cat. They skin you and eat little bits of your flesh. At nights, I sit with my brother and try to fall asleep, because sleeping alone would be too dangerous. I hate it here! I... I just want to see my friends that live just outside the Cat's territory. Why did he have to choose here of all places?