Chapter 22:

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god."

My heels clicked against shined marble as I ran.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god."

A second pair of shoes clicked behind me.

"We're not ready! Oh my god! We're not ready!"

Hands grabbed my shoulders.

"This isn't gonna work!"

"America!" Kriss yelled, shaking me by my shoulders. "Calm down."

I closed my eyes and sighed. "How are you so calm? The rebels are criminals in the eye of the court. What if the monarchs aren't as accepting as they seen? What if this is all a trap and they take them into custody?"

"America!" She snapped. "Do you really think Maxon would orchestrate that?"

"They could do better  it behind his back..."

"No! They can't! Or they would be criminals. It'll be fine. You set this up on both ends. They both seemed more than willing," Kriss said.

"You're right. You're always Right. It's just....I feel like somehow I'm betraying both ends, if you know what I mean? I don't even know!"

"You're just nervous. It's an easy trade," She assures me. "It'll be fine."

I nodded.

"It'll be better than fine. The monarchy will be in better hands then ever when the meeting is over," Kriss said.

I bit my lip and nodded again. She's right.

"Oh my god, Ames! We have the perfect dress!" Lucy squeaked, running up to me.

Mary draped her arm around me. "Elegant yet sexy. With that perfect rebellious touch. You'll look like a queen. A rebel queen."

"That's literally my aesthetic," I agreed.

"You should trademark that," Anne laughed, joining the party.

Kriss patted my hand in a goodbye. "I'll see you at the meeting. Don't freak out. All is right as it should be."

Faster than I could have described, my maids had me ready. The dress had off the shoulder straps and material that wrapped around my torso, hugging it and showing off my curves. Than it flared out at my waist and ended at my knees. Than they forced me into these really uncomfortable heels. They were just plain peep toe heels but for some reason they're just way more uncomfortable than usual.

Now my hair was what really set me off. In my time in the Selection my hair had always been long, thick, and pulled back into tight braids and buns. But when I became a rebel I sort of categorized that hair into my past with Maxon. Which I wanted to forget. So I cut it to my shoulders and thinned it and cut side bangs. It was a completely different hairstyle which made me look entirely different. And somehow my maids managed to leave my bangs hanging in the front and pull the top half of my hair into small, tight braids and leave the rest hanging down in loose curls. It was a sort of...combination of both looks that made me feel confident and yet terrified at the save time.