Chapter 4

Anthony's promise had withheld. All week no schoolboy even dared to look at me. Which, in truth, I couldn't decide if that was a good thing or just plain loathsome. Mario and Ramirez also stayed plenty away from me. Anytime they saw me in the halls they kept their heads down and walked by without saying a thing. Which made me wonder the things that Anthony must have had to have said to them in order to keep them shut up. Either way, whatever it was, it was working. Occasionally, I would see Anthony walking the halls too. Every time he smiled, waved hello and then I would wave back. It was the type of thing I had never had. Something I still scarcely believed existed in my universe. Something that felt so new I had to get used to.

Mama finally agreed to let up on the work a little and give half of it to me. Lest to say, we were both working double time now. We were both walking skeletons whose only purpose was to scrub kitchen floors. With Christmas approaching, talk of turkey feasts and family time and parties started running around the school. Something I would normally enjoy, but all I could think this week was work, work, and work.

Anthony had come up to me on Friday while I was polishing silverware outside the kitchen. "Tired of scrubbing there, Miss Anna?" He asked while flashing a huge, debonair smile. I placed the spoon I had been working on back on its rag. "Yes" I sighed

"Heard the Dean raised the rent for you and your mother."

I nodded. "Si. That's why I've been working so hard this week. We really need this money." I explained solemnly. Anthony sat down on the floor next to me. "Believe me Miss Anna, when my father dies and I get my fortune, the first thing I'm doing is buying you and your mother out of here."

"Your chivalry knows no bounds, sir."

Anthony laughed loudly in what could only be described as a belly laugh. A smile spread from ear to ear.

"Well, I also saved a maiden from a tower and slayed a fire-spitting dragon this week too. You know, a normal Tuesday."

I noticed something new about Anthony. He spoke with a slight but almost obvious accent. Italian maybe? Whatever it was, it blended perfectly with this Spaniard accent. "If it is not rude, I must ask you, do you have an accent?" I said quizzically. Anthony responded with a sly look.

"Italian. My family comes from the city of Florence."

"Well, the name makes sense now." I added. "How long did you live there?"

"Till I was ten. My parents sent me to live with my mercantile Aunt and Uncle to study the textile industry in hopes that I might someday inherit my Father's company." He said slightly forlorn. "I've come to ask you something, Anna."

"That is?"

"Tonight there's going to be a jig at the Emerald. I was hoping that if you did not have to work too late tonight you would accompany me?" He asked. I sat back in my chair turning the thought over.

"Will your friends be there?"

"If you mean Mario and Ramirez, I cannot guarantee that they will not be there. But I assure you, if they lay a single finger on you, two black eyes is what they'll get. So, what do you say?"

I fiddled with a spoon between my fingers trying to make a decision. "How long will we be gone?"

"As long as you want."

I got up from my chair. "Fine then. I suppose I could use a little merriment. When will you be picking me up?"

Anthony smiled widely "Eight O-clock. I shall see you then!" He exclaimed as he ran off.