Day 10 - Halloween

Prompt: Tell the story of Halloween from the perspective of a piece of candy.

"TRICK-OR-TREAT!" high-pitched voices screamed outside. A collection of stomping noises followed. 

Here they come again, I groaned internally. Little, unknowing kids who disturb my grand palace with their ridiculously screechy voices chanting some witchcraft spell. I mean, "trick-or-treat?" What the heck is that anyway? They're all dressed weirdly, too. I happened to peek at one an hour ago. That nasty little Disturber was wearing a cloak and a pointed hat as he barged into my palace! Such ignorant Disturbers. 

Back to what I was saying. A crowd of Disturbers all held orange plastic baskets up, and a woman – Ms. Apron, I called her, since she had worn the same red-plaid apron since I first met her – dumped fistfuls of candy in them. The Disturbers hollered in joy and ran away as quickly as they came. Just like that, wave after wave of Disturbers came and left. Each wave took some of my peasants away.

Candy Corns, you have served me well. Rest in piece, my peasants.

But a tear silently slipped out my eye as I watched my peasants gradually disappear into nothing. Sure, they'll never be able to compare to such a perfection as me who rule this land, but still. Those Candy Corns were my servants!

I sighed wistfully. I turned to my second-in-command and brother, Hershey's Kiss. "Hey, bro, how's this War of Halloween going?"

Hershey's Kiss replied, "Peasant foot soldiers are down! But I believe we'll make a comeback with the Licorice sergeants next."

I felt better after that. "Thanks, bro. With you, we'll definitely rise victoriously!"

Hershey's Kiss laughed and said nothing.

"TRICK-OR-TREAT!" came another obnoxious scream from new Disturbers. My heart pounded in my chest. It's now all up to my Licorices to make a comeback. 

"Go, my Licorices!" I yelled. But alas, despite my constant hollering, my Licorices didn't seem to hold up. They were powerless as Ms. Apron continued to sacrifice more and more of them to the Disturbers. I felt so utterly powerless as I watched them get thrown to their deaths.

Licorices, you have served me well. Rest in piece, my sergeants.

The night wore on, and the battle raged on endlessly. I watched helplessly as my soldiers die by the handful.

Lollipops, Gum, Skittles, M&Ms, Sour Patches, you have served me well. Rest in piece, my army.

Finally, I was the last candy standing. I stood as proudly as I could. If my nation goes down, I shall go down with it. Disturbers storm in, creating a cacophony of stomping and screaming. Ms. Apron smiles brightly at them and reaches for me.

Her hands, close up, was big and meaty. Her palms were calloused. Her fingers were outstretched, about to touch me.

Farewell, my kingdom, I'm sorry to have let you be destroyed.

"Ooh, a Reeses Piece!"

AN// 1/3 of my goal! I actually can't believe I made it this far! This was kind of a rushed piece; definitely not as thoughtfully planned as yesterday's, which I was so proud of. But oh well.