Chapter 9: The Evil Grandfather?

Wednesday - Friday,

February 23, 2011 - February 25, 2011

"I know what I want to do for my birthday, Addison, but we have to do it Friday instead of Saturday."

"Why?"

"I, uh...I'll be having...visitors on Saturday."

"Hm? Okay. Well, what is it?" She asked completely excited now.

Eva was seven, and I would be turning 19 on Saturday. I was her legal guardian, now, thankfully, and her birthday was in June.

"Well, first, I want to go to the cemetary to visit Don and Brenda." I paused and continuedd, watching her expression. "Then I want to go to the beach. I've never been to the beach."

Her eyes turned cold and she streightened her back. Then: "You just had to choose somewhere where there was sun didn't you?"

I smiled internally, proud of myself. "Yep. Looks like none of you will be able to go. Except Eva. I want to spend time with her, too." I was in deep thought as I walked out of the kitchen.

"Why would you want to go without one or all of us? Why would you want to spend time alone?" Alec asked coming into the main room where I was at that second.

But I didn't notice him. I was thinking of my parents. Would they make it here? Would they be in danger? How did they survive? Why hadn't they contacted me sooner? Where did they go? Did they not know I was alive all these years? What would happen once they were here? I couldn't leave the Masons. I loved them. I loved them all, even Scarlett's angry, bitchy self. And Eva. I wouldn't leave her, either. But I wanted to spend time with them. What would I do? Where would I go?

"Ugh!" I threw my arms up in frustration, only to realize Alec was standing in front of me, confused. I sighed. "I'm sorry, Alec. I was just thinking a lot. I have a lot on my mind." At the moment it was nighttime, and I had stayed up to tell Addison what I wanted to do, but now I was tired, and I wanted to go to bed.

"Come on," Alec said. "You need sleep. Are you sure you're alright? Losing that much energy didn't make you feel ill, did it?" I think he was referring to the time in the woods with Hanley.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Come on, I just want some sleep," I mumbled. He walked behind me patiently as I walked up both sets of stairs, pulling on his hand to drag him along. As he let go of my hand to go to his own room, I stopped.

Did I want to be alone with all the glory of my thoughts tonight? With Alec, I'd just fall asleep. He was warm, he was safe.

So I turned around, grabbed his hand before he entered his room and dragged him behind me again, and he didn't ask a thing. I walked into my room to find Eva asleep in the middle of my bed. Hanley had a room right next to Alec's. Don't ask.