Chapter 2 (Shay)

Chapter 2

Shay

“Look, I’m sorry, but this just isn’t gonna work out,” I tell Mike, my boyfriend of the moment.

“What do you mean? Everything was going fine!” he replies, looking stricken.

“You’re a great guy and all, but I think of you more like a brother than a boyfriend,” I give him a sad smile. “We can still be friends, I hope.”

“Friends? I can’t be just friends with you! I think I’m falling in love with you!” he shouts.

I roll my eyes at his words. We have only been dating for like a week and he is saying that he loves me? That is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard. If he is just trying to get me to stay with him that certainly isn’t going to work. Anyone that knows me knows I don’t believe in that love crap.

“Oh, come on, you’re only saying that because you think it will make me stay,” I say exasperated. Why can’t he just make this easy?

“I’m serious. I’ve never met someone like you before,” he informs me, a little desperately.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t force myself to feel the same way about you.” I’m trying to let him down gently, but it doesn’t look like he is taking it too well.

“Everyone was right about you! You’re nothing but a slut!” he spits out angrily.

“Bye, Mike,” I say wearily and turn my back on him.

I really did hope that we could be friends, but I guess there’s no chance of that now. Not because he called me a slut, but because I’m pretty sure he hates me. I should probably be angry about the him calling me that, but I honestly don’t care. People will think what they want. I know the truth at least.

“How many was that? Twelve boyfriends in one month? I think you may have set a new record,” my brother, Luke, says as I walk through the door. He was obviously watching me through the window.

“And what about you? Last time I checked you were seeing three girls at once,” I retort and he gives me his infamous smirk.

“It was four actually,” he calls after me as I walk into the kitchen.

Okay, I know it probably looks bad, but I’m really not a slut. I have gone on quite a few dates, but that’s all. It’s not my fault if I didn’t feel a real connection with any of the guys I’ve dated. I told them all I wasn’t looking for anything serious, anyway. So, it’s their fault if they decided not to listen.

I dig around the kitchen for awhile before I end up with a bag of potato chips and a soda. I head into the living room to watch reruns of Law and Order. I never even get the chance to turn the TV on, though, because the phone starts to ring.

“Luke, it’s for you!” I shout, even though I have no idea who it is.

Either Luke doesn’t care or he didn’t hear me because the phone continues to ring. Right before the call goes to the answering machine I sigh and reach over to pick it up.

“What?” I say grumpily. I’m really not in the mood to talk to anyone right now.

“Is this Mrs. Brooks?” the other person asks.

“No. Who are you?” I answer a bit harsher than I intended.

“Julia from the Atlantic County hospital. Is Mrs. Brooks around?” she replies.

“She’s dead,” I deadpan. Okay, so she isn’t technically dead, but I’m not going to explain my life story to some random lady. Besides she is dead to me, so I guess in a way it is true.