Chapter Twenty Seven; The End...

I held Les in my arms as we waited for Jack to emerge from the lions den.

"Nervous?" I heard Katherine ask.

I jumped, not expecting her to be behind me, setting Les down I turned to face her with a small smile.

"Just a bit." I admitted quietly.

We were quiet for a moment before I looked at her again.

"You weren't the only one who lied about your name. My real name is Allegra O'Harra," I admitted.

Her smile grew and she took my hand.

"Thank you,"

We grinned and laughed, swinging our conjoined hands and began to sing with the boys again until the Doors to Pulitzer's office opened and Jack waltz out with Roosevelt and Pulitzer.

"Newsies of New York!" He called.

I started trembling in fear and excitement. This was it.

"WE BEAT EM!" He screamed.

I screamed and launched myself at Katherine, attacking her in a hug. We were quickly engulfed by Race, Spot, Davey and Les. We pulled away and I was only slightly aware of the tears falling from my eyes.

"And now, I would like to introduce my very own personal pal, Governor Theodore Roosevelt, himself." Jack said, cockily stepping back.

"Each generation must, at the height of its power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid way to our world. Now, I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous." Roosevelt motioned Jack forwards again "And your drawings, son, have brought another matter to end. Officers, if you please!" He called.

We all heard a whistle blow and We all parted like the red seas. I didn't register what happened next since I got tunnel vision when I saw Crutchie step into the square.

"CRUTCHIE," I screamed, my voice outshining the rest of the square.

I launched myself into a full sprint and the poor kid barely had time to brace himself before I wrapped around him like and octopus, crying ugly sobs.

"How ya doin', Fellas! Ya miss me!" He asked over my shoulder.

I laughed and pulled back to place kisses all over his face.

"So much," I answered through the hiccups that started.

He looked at me with soft eyes and an easy smile, hugging my tightly once more. I heard footsteps and we were joined by Jack Who wrapped his arms painfully tight around both of us.

"Oh!" Crutchie exclaimed breaking away from us, "I gotcha guys a present straight from the refuge. Hey bring him in boys!" He called to the bulls, tossing an arm around my shoulders.

We watched in awe as they dragged in Snyder.

"Its Snyder the spider!" I heard Race laugh.

"He ain't so tough no more is he?" Mush grinned.

"Jack, With all those drawings, you made an eloquent argument for shutting down the refuge. Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated. Officers, take him away." Roosevelt spoke.

"Please, Your Highness, may I do the honors?" Crutchie asked, taking off his cap as he addressed Governor Roosevelt.

"You gotta be joking," Snyder scoffed as Crutchie took a pair of cuffs from a bull.

"Then you'll be laughing, all the way to the pen, little man." Crutchie teased as he slapped the cuffs on Snyders wrists. "So long, sucker!" He grinned smacking Snyder with his crutch, making him stumble.

Jack ran over and hugged Crutchie tight.

"Oh, thank you, Governor!" Jack called up to Roosevelt who smiled at him.

"Hey, if one of your drawings convinced the Governor to close down the refuge, what about a daily political cartoon to expose the dealings in our own government back rooms? What do you say, Teddy? Care to have this young man's artistry shine a light behind your closed doors?" Pulitzer said, raising an eyebrow.

"Hey, hey. Joe don't sweat it. With the strike settled, I should probably be hitting the road." Jack said, letting Crutchie go, turning to look at me.

I shot him a confused look. After everything he was still planning on going to Santa Fe? I just got Crutchie back. I wasn't about to leave him anytime soon.

"Don't you ever get tired of singing the same old tune? What's Santa Fe got that New York ain't? Sandstorms?" Davey groaned.

"Or better yet: What's New York got that Santa Fe ain't?" Katherine asked, taking Daveys hand.

"New York's got us, and we're family." Crutchie said, taking my hand.

I nodded enthusiastically and smiled shyly.

"Didn't I hear something about a strike getting settled?" Pulitzer snarled, storming back into his office.

"Papes for the newsies! Line up, boys! These papes ain't gonna sell themselves." Weasel called gleefully.

"Come along, governor. Show me the back seat I've heard so much about." I heard Medda laugh.

I kissed Crutchies cheek before stepping close to Jack, taking both of his hands in mine.

"Well don't just stand there, you've got a union to run Mister President." I teased.

"Besides, didn't someone just offer you a pretty exciting job?" Katherine asked.

"You mean working for your father?" Jack scoffed.

"We already work for her father honey," I said giving him a funny look.

" ...Oh yeah." Jack said blushing slightly.

"And you've got one more ace up your sleeve." I smiled, brushing my fingers across his cheekbone.

"And what would that be?" He asked, teasing slightly.

"Me!" I grinned cockily, before settling into a loving smile, my eyes light and mirthful, "Wherever you go, I'll be there, right by your side."

"For sure?"

"For sure." I promised.

Jack; Don't take much to be a dreamer; all you do is close your eyes, but some made-up world is all you ever see. Now my eyes is finally open and my dreams they's average size.

He turned back to look at me and cupped my cheek

Jack: But they don't much matter if you aint with me.

I smiled and flung my arms around him dragging him into a kiss making the boy whoop and cheer a 'finally' being heard from Crutchie and Spot.

"Well, Jack? Gunner? Are you in or out? We're waiting your highnesses." Davey teased.

Jack blushed and weaved his way through the boys getting slaps on the back.

"I'm coming I was a little busy!" Jack defened, motioning over to me.

I cheered as he slapped his money on Weasels desk and whisking our papes away and launching himself at me.

"Whatcha say Allegra? Is The queen of New York ready to greet her people once again?" Jack smiled.

I smirked and looked at my boys who were all waiting on my call, brilliant smiles on their faces for the first time in months.

"Newsies! Hit the streets! Carry the Banner!"