Chapter 18

Jonathon stood as stiff as a board not knowing what to do while Mary Maltz was changing behind a curtain. They were in Mary’s room because apparently Mary wanted to talk to Jonathon, that part Jonathon understood but the part he didn’t understand was that why is Mary changing her clothes?

Behind the curtain Mary said, “Take a seat, I just have to get out of this dress, I hate dresses.” Jonathon nodes slowly towards the curtain and takes a seat beside a bookshelf. Mary soon came out from behind the curtains, wearing black skinny jeans and a white tiger print shirt.  Jonathon scans Mary’s outfit and not being able t hold his laughter inside bursts into laughing. He laughs so hard that he falls from his seat. Seeing the anger and embarrassment on Mary’s face, he pulls himself together and asks, “What’s with the outfit of a 16 year old?” Mary then bluntly replies, “I don’t live here anymore, so these are all my clothes from 7 years ago,” while trying to hide her flushed face. Jonathon stops laughing and scans Mary one more time and then says back with awe, “Wow, so that means you haven’t grown at all in these past 7 years, that’s sad.” Mary at first does not understand what he means by that but looking at herself one more time in the mirror, she sees that he is implying toward the fact that clothes from 7 years ago still fit her perfectly, she blushes one more time and in anger throws a pillow at Jonathon, under her breath she says, “Jerk”

Mary Maltz sits on the bed which is placed in front of the bookshelf which makes her and Jonathon to talk in front of each other.

 Mary looks at Jonathon and then says or more like orders “Lose.”

Jonathon taken by shock asks, “What?”

“Lose and we won’t have to get married” Mary explains.

“No” Jonathon says without any pause.

“What do you mean no?” Mary asks, knowing that she won’t like the answer.

“I’m not going to lose to your dad at least not on purpose.” Jonathon replies with a frown.

“You do understand that if you win, you will have to marry me, right?” Mary shouts at him while standing up, and starting to go back and forth.

“Yeah, I know that if I win which, I will, I have to marry you even though we are going to get married based on different reasons.” Jonathon replies calmly as he leans more back into the couch.

“This is a disaster, why did you have to some to my apartment in the first place?” Mary shouts at him, just trying to blame him for all that has happened.

“Why did you have to lie to me about how my food tastes?” Jonathon shouts back, not wanting to get blamed for something he isn’t responsible for.

They stare at each other with anger and fury, waiting to see who will break the eye contact first. Staring at each other, eye to eye, Jonathon’s gaze goes down to Mary’s lips. Upon noticing that he was actually staring at Mary’s lips, he takes a step back and clears his throat. When he had Mary’s eyes looking at him, he said, “We should go down, there is no point in talking about this anymore.” Mary sighs deeply and agrees.

When they head back downstairs to the kitchen, the whole kitchen was transformed into something you see in the food network challenge. Jonathon was amazed but Mary didn’t seem affected by the scene at all for what this type of things she was use, it was one of the joys of being a first class food critic.

Diego shouted to Jonathon who was standing still at the entrance of the kitchen, “Come to your counter already, boy. You are late.” Jonathon decides to ignore Mr. Maltz and his desire to shout something back at him. Jonathon calmly walks to his little counter which was a mini kitchen. In front of the two counters sat Mrs. Monique Maltz. Diego then asked his wife, “What should we make for your birthday, sweetheart?” Jonathon was shock to see the tone difference in the way he talked to him and his wife, but then thought to himself that it was understandable since Diego hates his existence in this world. Monique after a while of thinking replies with a sweet smile, “Cheesecake” Just with that little word a horn was blown indicating that the competition has begun. Jonathon, who was all new to competing, took a few minutes until he was able to comprehend what was happening, and started on making the cheesecake that Mrs. Maltz will lover better than her husband’s cheesecake which most probably would be her favorite type of cheesecake. Taking note of how the house was a mixture of classic and modern, Jonathon decided to make a classic cheesecake, Blueberry Cheesecake.

While in the corner of the kitchen stood Mary Maltz who was planning something with little Jonathon.