0.2

Hazel

Thankfully, Hazel's plan to getting sick and missing a few days of work was a success. Yes, the greasy potato chips had its bad effects, like giving her stomach cramps and a few days of diarrhea, but it was totally worth it.

The following wednesday, when Hazel's three-day sickness had pretty much disappeared, her father forced her to go to work instead of being curled up under her duvet whilst she watched movies on Netflix, something about responsibility, he had lectured her, but Hazel wasn't really paying attention to him.

Hazel slowly walked down the empty sidewalk, the only sound heard was the scraping of her sneakers against the gravel ground. The weather was quite awful; it was chilly and pillows of clouds were building up in the dark sky, preparing for precipitation. The area was badly light up, the only sources of lighting were the stars, which stood out, but were slowly being covered up by grey clouds.

They casted dim rays of light across the area, and Hazel couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of the atmosphere. The area she was in would be considered the ugly and dangerous part of the city, which would naturally be the spot to open up shit supermarkets.

The wind blew through her hair and the rush of it could be felt against her pale skin, causing the strands of her hair, which were put in a light braid, to slowly untangle from one another, freeing several strands. She hugged herself tightly, desperate for warmth and maybe some sort of affection. The loose sweater Hazel had put on did her no good; she was extremely cold. Her teeth chattered against one another and she noticed that the air she exhaled was visible.

The small supermarket she was headed towards came into view, with an illuminated sign lighting up the words Shaun's Supermarket. The neon colors used on the sign were quite beautiful, glistening in the dark area. After several minutes of walking in the silent and deserted part of the city, Hazel reached her destination. She pushed the filthy glass door open, entering the supermarket, scanning it.

"Haze?" Somebody spoke up, making her gasp in shock. Her eyes darted towards the cashier register, where found her co-worker, Michael, standing with a small smile on his face, "You're like ten minutes early, you're usually ten minutes late."

"Shut up, Mikey," she sighed, carelessly throwing her handbag on the counter. She turned her attention back to the room, and as usual, it was empty and quiet.

"How're you feeling? You've skipped a few days, so I figured you might've been sick," Michael asked and the worry in his eyes was definite. Hazel found that extremely cute, she liked that Michael cared about her, in a friendly way of course, but she could take care of herself. After all, she was twenty.

"Please remind me to never eat the food packets sold here," she responded, smiling weakly at the boy in front of her. Michael chuckled lightly before nodding, the smile still on his face.

Silence took over, and two teenagers standing in the supermarket could feel the awkwardness. Eye contact was exchanged every now and then, but other than that, they didn't move. The antique clock was the only thing interrupting the silence, ticking irrationally every second.

"Well, my shift just finished, good luck, Haze," Michael spoke up after a few more minutes. Hazel nodded, watching as he took off the apron the workers were required to wear, and slipped on a red flannel. A smile was stitched on his face as he walked slowly towards Hazel, pressing a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Oh, and we're still on this friday, right?" Michael asked, tilting his head at Hazel, "I mean, like, only if you're feeling better. I'm not forcing you or anything, oh my god, I also don't want to pressure you into it. Of course you don't want to co-"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, Mikey," Hazel interrupted, with the biggest smile stitched on her face. Michael's eyes lit up, and she watched as the boy victory danced out of the supermarket in joy. Hazel found herself giggling, and the giggle slowly formed loud laugh. Her eyes were shut as her hands held onto her stomach, allowing the melodic-like sound exit her lips.

"What're you laughing about?" A familiar voice spoke up, and Hazel instantly stopped laughing, losing her balance and falling onto the ground.

It was the blonde-headed boy's turn to laugh as he immediately began laughing like maniac. Crinkles formed next to his eyes that were shut whilst the beautiful noise escaped his perfectly sculpted lips. It was more like a cackle than a laugh, but either way, Hazel found it completely adorable.

Hazel scoffed in annoyance and got up, crossing her arms over her chest. She recognized the boy as the kid who came to buy condoms the other day. He wore nearly the same thing, a band shirt and black skinny jeans. How fashionable.

"Can you please stop? It isn't funny!" whined Hazel, eyeing him. She watched as the boy finally calmed himself down with a smile tugging at his lips, revealing incredibly white and straight teeth.

Hazel arched an eyebrow upwards, unsure to why the boy stood in front of the counter awkwardly.

"Can I help you?" she asked rudely, staring at him in disgust.

The boy put one of his hands out, waiting for her to shake it. "I'm Luke," he introduced himself, and Hazel's gaze shifted from his hand to his face in disbelief.

"Oh, this is your cue to introduce yourself," Luke explained, and Hazel rolled her eyes.

"I'm not interested," she commented, turning her attention to the lighting; a row of old, fluorescent bulbs, coated with filth. The bulbs were messily screwed around the badly lit up area, they seemed to be in a systematic order until it may have seemed that they were scattering randomly.

Her gaze continued to linger, with zest, until she heard Luke clear his throat. Hazel looked at him again, irritated that he was still standing there. She was about to tell him to fuck off until she realized that he slipped a box of - that's right - condoms on the counter.

"Didn't you buy one, like, three days ago?" Hazel looked at the box in confusion.

"Yeah," he simply answered.

"What? Do you have a secret stash of condom boxes or something? Oh my god, don't tell me your one of those weird kids that have condom collections," Hazel stared at him, her eyes widening.

"No," Luke shook his head simply, "I finished the box."

"The box had like ten condoms, dude," sighed Hazel, not believing the boy in front of her.

"Well, you see, I personally enjoy having-"

"No, no, you don't tell me about your sex life," Hazel spoke up, maybe just a little bit too loud, as she scanned the box and handing it to Luke in a plastic bag.

"Oh, and I came here yesterday, but you weren't here, are you okay?" Luke asked with concern, but Hazel just rolled her eyes. She did that quite often.

After giving him back his change and shooing him away, Luke finally gave up and left, sighing. Hazel felt accomplished; she had to let Luke know she wasn't one of those easy girls that were horny all the time and were desperate for sex. Unlike him, she still had some self-respect. (note: this isn't meant to offend anyone!!! i completely agree with everyone saying that sex does not determine that amount of respect u have for yourself, but this is hazel's story and these are her opinions. hazel grows and develops through this story, and her opinions begin to become less closed-minded)

Luke placed his hand on the rusty, metal door handle, pulling it lightly. He turned his head so that he was facing her and smirked, "I'll see you later, Hazel."

"Wait, how'd you know my na-" Hazel began, but Luke had already left. Her jaw dropped and she stood there in confusion, until she realized that she had her name tag on.

-

you've been a requesting an update, and so you get an update!

thank you so so so much for 11k on this, it means so much to me

pls bare with me bc i swear this is going to get much better

cute gif of luke on the side ((-: