Chapter 3: The Arrival

Her head began to ache, the goo was hugging her limbs, Jessica pushed through the sticky wall, her throat felt like it was being squeezed, the air unfamiliar, alien to her lungs, She took deep and heavy breaths, sometimes coughing, she was sitting on the cold concrete of the supermarket parking lot everything around her was dark, reminding her of home.

Jessica got up and looked at the dimly lit street lamps and tilted her head as they began to flicker. She stood in the middle of the road her mind jumbling together her surroundings. 

Out of nowhere one bright light separated and became one, zooming towards Jessica, she leapt backwards barely missing it, she began to shake, freaking out, dragging her palms on the gravel as she stumbled away, hitting the wall of the supermarket, the shrinking passage closing before her eyes, she struck her hand through with desperation. Her eyes distant and her voice weak with screams as she felt her flesh burn, pulling her hand to her chest.

"Home!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, the air burning her chest. Her hair was wrapping around her waist and in a tangled mess with cloth clinging to her skin, her white skin covered in dirt and goo. She kept screaming, recoiling against the wall, she closed her eyes and tried to think, tried to talk to it. 

"come on and let me know, should I stay or should go, should I stay or should I go now-" Her mind flickering back and forth to Will sitting in Byers castle in the upside down, as he shook and sang the same tune, she copied, desperate to bring her back home.

The sound of cutlery scraping together echoed through the diner, Eleven looked at people as they walked past her table. Hopper munched on his waffles, swimming in syrup. Eleven hadn't touched hers.

"Are we going to mama's house?" El asked, finally starting to eat her breakfast. She took a big gulp of orange juice as Hopper put down his fork.

"El I just don't think, that this is a good idea" Hopper said, taking his coffee into his hand. Eleven slammed her cup on the table. Looking at Hopper, his face showing how unaffected he was.

"I want to see Mama" She said looking angrily towards the policeman sitting across from her. Hopper just shook his head and piled the dishes for the waitress to come and collect. 

"Not yet kiddo" He was extremely careful not to use the word 'soon' as he knew Eleven realized that could be years and years form now.

"But how was school? You never said anything?" Hopper asked wiping his mouth and sitting his hands on the table, Eleven thought back to how her nose had bled for no reason and how she felt like a puppet for milliseconds at a time. 

"Good" she said, copying Hopper. Her hands also resting on the table.

Hopper parked his car out the front of the school for a while, watching Eleven, He was nervous, hoping that this kid could finally feel normal, until he drove off, wishing he could watch over her all day. But Eleven didn't look back, she kept her eyes firmly where her friends were, she could see Dustin and Will talking, waiting for more of the party to come. She had made a B line for them but was shocked when Nancy jumped in her way.

"Hey Eleven, Can I talk to you for a sec?" She asked her curly hair tucked behind her ears, her sweet eyes looking desperate.

Jonathan, Nancy and Eleven were sitting in the car, Nancy was looking at El, she looked shaky, Jonathan was holding her hand. 

"I need to talk to Barb" Her voice was breaking, she took a deep breath and continued.

"Do you think you can talk to the dead Eleven?" She was in tears now, Jonathan was squeezing her hand as the both looked back at El in the backseat. She simply shook her head, confused.

"It's impossible" She was trying to be 'gentle' for Nancy, Hopper told her she had be gentle when saying something to someone who was upset. She was 'gentle' with Mama, and she was trying to be gentle with Nancy.

"I'm sorry" Eleven said awkwardly, trying so hard to keep Nancy happy. Nancy dropped Jonathan's hand like it was rotten flesh, She got out of the car.

"Nance it's not her fault-" Jonathan began but Nancy out her head back in the car.

"Your brother came back! Your family got to know what happened and got to know that it was more than just a missing person! Barb's family and others- NEVER GOT THAT!" She hissed slamming the door as she walked away. 

Eleven felt a guilty tear slip down her cheek. She could speak to the dead, but she could barely speak to the living anymore, her powers were drained.

Jonathan apologized to Eleven and walked away, Leaving her in the car.

"Friend's don't lie" She said once she was all alone.