Chapter Four - Wednesday Afternoon

Comprehensions are a dyslexic child’s nightmare.

I swung my legs while I tapped the table impatiently. Every few minutes I would look down just to see it the scattered words made any sense to me. They didn’t.

    I had arrived at detention five minutes early and much to my disgust Mr Jones was seated at the mahogany desk. When I entered the room I felt oddly uncomfortable, as he looked me up and down. The awkwardness grew when he licked his lips subconsciously and winked in my direction. I made a face and walked towards the seat at the very back of the classroom, I shivered at the thought that his eyes were still on me. I swear – this guy was eye-raping me.

    Mr Jones wasn’t that old – in fact he was probably in his late twenties. He wasn’t bad-looking either it’s just the perverted look in his eye kind of put me off. His button down shirt was unbuttoned enough to see the tone muscles that rested underneath. His hair was in a quiff and it was hard to resist burying my hands in them. He smirked at me and I rolled my eyes. “You don’t have to sit all the way down there! There’s room on my lap baby.” He said seductively – except his face looked like it was having a seizure.

“I’m good thanks.” I said with a tight smile, my eyes signalling for him to leave me the fuck alone.

    I took out some books and ignored his piercing stare. A couple minutes later Andy walked in, followed by the boys. They took the seats surrounding me and each of them flashed me a non-paedophilic smile unlike Jones.

    Jones had given out a booklet as thick as my leg and started to ramble on about the rules of detention. After about twenty or so of them, I zoned out and stared out the window. I hadn’t noticed the brunette that walked in a half hour late. “Sorry sir but I was at the gym and I forgot – oh.” I was pretty sure she mirrored my look of loathing as she sat on a table in the corner of the class. Detention was virtually empty besides us so seating wasn’t a problem; everyone had the common idea of sitting as far away from Jones as possible. “Well hello to you to Liliath.”

 She scoffed when he said her name and flattened her fringe in her face. “Please go back to calling me Miss Greene, I’d much prefer that than vomiting in my mouth.” Pete sniggered at her words and when they made eye contact he flipped his hair to the side, okay, we know you have amazing hair Pete, but you don’t have to make me feel bad!

I had given up on answering the questions after Mr Jones left to get some lunch his excuse being and I quote “You guys are bunch of boring idiots. This is stupid – I have more important things to do: Like eat.” He then walked out of the room, laptop case in hand and sunglasses already on his face. Cocky bastard.

    “Hey! What did you get for Question 4, B?” Patrick asked peering over my shoulder.

“Oh um…” I hastily tried to cover my notebook; which was blank apart from my doodles of multiple ways of dying. Don’t ask. Patrick’s smile deflated a little. “No, it’s okay, you don’t have to tell me. I’m sorry.” He turned away and went back to the question. I couldn’t help but notice the small crease that formed between his eyebrows when he concentrated and the way he bit the inside of his cheek.

“No! That’s not it Pat! It’s just I haven’t answered it either. God damn it! I haven’t answered any of them!” My breathing had become laboured and I crumpled the pages in my fist. I flung them so that they hit the whiteboard hanging at the top of the room and kicked the table leg. All this; the annoying fact that I can’t ever be normal, or that I could never read properly, all that anger had built up inside me. I guess that’s why they say a problem shared is a problem halfed. It’s because they don’t want you causing a thousand dollars worth of damage using only body parts.