22

Song at the top: Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Scar Tissue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nancy

A Distraction of the Painting Kind

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

She could visibly see just how awkward Will was feeling having been presented to her in such a manner. Has hand instinctually kept lifting up to the back of his neck, his eyes remained staring down towards the paint splattered red tiles, and his lips were pulled into a small sheepish smile. 

She herself was feeling a little out of sorts. Her hair was a mess from her hurried journey back to the studios, and she was still dressed in her coat. She felt a slight flush on her face from growing embarrassment and suddenly had the urge to run the toilets to check her appearance.

"Uh..." She placed down her paintbrush on her table, wiped her hands free of paint and removed her coat, all the while Will remained where he had been left by Sarah. "What brings you here?" She ran a hand through her hair in an attempt to smooth the flyaway locks that she knew were sticking out haphazardly.

Will finally lifted his gaze away from the floor to meet her eyes. Under the natural light that flooded through the studio, his hair seemed to glow a richer shade of caramel than usual. She found it distracting.

"I, uh... brought something for Jensen." He wiped away any embarrassment from his features and presented her with one of his glittering smiles. A piece of hair fell across his eyes and he lazily flicked it back in place with his fingers. 

"Oh..." His awkwardness was infectious, setting her on edge and causing her to shuffle her feet slightly on the tiles in order to dispell some of her nerves.

Yes, she was nervous. His appearance had been so sudden that she hadn't had time to acknowledge that the person she had been talking to non-stop for a month now stood before her. There was a flutter in her chest and a warmth in her cheeks. 

A jittery silence fell between them, and Nancy found herself wanting so bad to turn away and pick up her paintbrush for something to do, but she was unable to move.

Will's eyes focused on the wall behind her and his eyebrows scrunched slightly as his concentration doubled.

"What're you painting?" He asked, taking a tentative step forward. Nancy was glad of his sudden interest, but she was also suddenly feeling like she was under scrutiny. 

"Flowers." she said, looking over her shoulder at the black painted piece of paper stuck lop-sided to the wall with duct tape. "I haven't started it properly yet. I only just got back." She muttered, painfully aware of Will's slow approach towards her work. 

"I know. I saw you come in." Will was stood practically leaning over her shoulder, his rich caramel chair falling perfectly to hide his face from her, but as his attention diverted from the black rectangle on the wall, his deep brown eyes locked on hers. She hadn't realized he had gotten so close, but she could see each individual flecks of colour that ran throughout his irises. Unknowingly, she took a small step backward with the feeling of all the air of her lungs being squeezed out at his close proximity. 

Something flickered in his eyes and he stood straight once more, a small smirk playing on his lips.

"Sorry," He said, pushing his hands into his jacket pocket. "I was distracted."