Rant

Rant -

Never underestimate the wrath of a girl, or better yet the wrath of several girls. That tight knit group of people you hang out with every day, the ones who know your darkest secrets and you theirs, the ones you call your friends? Yeah them, don’t ever cross them.

Last year I caught up with an old friend of mine as we were in many of the same classes. This year we are in all the same classes and we sit together in 3 out of the 5 subjects we take. I find myself wanting to spend more time with her and her friends than with my group of friends, but I am scared that if I do this then I will upset my friends. I know that many people have been or are in the same situation as me and that to some people this whole ‘problem’ is childish and unimportant, but I know that for many this is a major challenge. It is to me. We all have friends and we all need them, no matter what we say, but why can’t we be around whoever we want whenever we want? I love the group of friends I have, I really do, but sometimes I just want to hang around other people. Is that so wrong? I know most of you will say that it is perfectly fine, I know that it is fine, but sometimes I feel like I am turning my back on my friends when I don’t spend as much time with them than I do with my new found friend. Why do I feel so guilty? I hate the boundaries we place around ourselves nowadays, why do we always have to double guess our decisions? Just because we want to open up ourselves to new experiences and make new friends does not mean we are ditching our old friends. Many people nowadays, especially girls (I have no clue about boys, but they probably, maybe, perhaps? go through a similar struggle), feel betrayed when someone from their group of friends start making new friends and spending more time with people outside their group, but do they really have the right to be upset? We are our own person and we make the decisions that we do based on our own life. I am not going to miss the opportunity to meet new people just because I am afraid of ‘betraying’ my long-time friends. If they really are my friends then they should feel happy about the fact that I’m making new friends and should support me. No wrath should be ever faced between true friends and you should never be afraid to make new friends.

So I guess the whole point of this is to tell you that yes it is important to keep your old group of friends but that it is ok to make new friends. You should not have to be afraid of upsetting your old group of friends if you meet new people and that you have the right to be around whoever you want. But remember: balance is key. You shouldn’t forget your old friends. Also, you must remember that your friends will always look out for you so don’t get angry at them if they start asking questions, they care about you. And, yes, if they tell you that they are worried about you being around your new friends, take it in consideration as there is a reason they would feel this way. And if you have a friend who seems to be showing the signs and symptoms of what has been discussed, then support them as they are probably worried about your opinion on this matter.

@PurpleBookWorm