Helping Out

Pepper ran as fast as she could down the hall and chose to take the stairs down in fear of the elevator being damaged. She tumbled down, trying to stay on her feet as she flew. Tony had directed her to the lab, and she was beginning to have flashbacks of the battle with Obadiah the last time she was involved. She was determined to save Stark's ass, yet again.

She finally scanned herself into the lab, thinking about his instructions. He didn't really expect her to get into one of those things, did he? She answered her own question with a groan as she was met with the suit he had left outside, open and prepared behind the locked doors. So...he was keeping them at work, now, too? It did not appeal to her to climb into it, but she knew that's what he wanted...especially after the incident at home. She scowled, but reluctantly closed her eyes tight as she backed into it and felt it close around her.

"Welcome, Miss Potts," the familiar voice of Jarvis welcomed, allowing her to slowly ease her eyes back open.

She gasped as she was met with a visual display in front of her, as well as the sight of the outside world. She didn't feel constricted, like she expected to, which was a plus. If only she could figure out how to work the thing, but she imagined that would come in time...or Jarvis could help her.

Then, without warning, a red light flashed before a small screen showing a front view of Tony's face displayed in the corner of her vision.

"Sir, Miss Potts is online," Jarvis informed, audible to her as well.

"Tony?" she asked, her voice squeaking.

"Yeah. You in the suit?"

"Y..yeah," she answered, holding up the gauntlets and twisting them around so she could look at her palms and the repulsors. "Where are you?"

"Don't worry about that," he breathed, grimacing as the screen flickered.

In the background, Pepper could hear a few small noises, like echoes, and they all went with his facial expressions. He was fighting, she was sure of it.

"Stay there. Jarvis, call Rhodey and bring him in. Gonna need backup on this one," Tony ordered.

Pepper blinked and tried to steady her breathing. The one good thing about the suit was she didn't feel any pain building in her leg anymore...or maybe it had healed. The bad thing...she was afraid she'd be weighed down if she tried to move.

"Pep?" Tony asked, as though she had been ignoring him.

She probably had.

"Are you okay?" she whispered urgently.

Tony grunted, then responded quickly. "Pepper, listen to me. I need you to stay inside until I say so, okay? Use the repulsors if you have to. You remember how you activated it in the garage, right?"

"Yeah..."

She sounded terrified, but mostly for Tony's sake. Then, another small window appeared revealing Rhodey's face.

"Tony? Where are you."

"Sending coordinates now, Colonel Rhodes..." Jarvis piped up again.

"Big guy. In the suit," he gasped as more loud bangs were heard from his mic. "They altered the arc. Gonna need some firepower over here."

"Widow's got an agent coming with her now," Rhodey informed Stark. "I'm on my way."

Tony groaned, but not because of his attacker. "You called the babysitter on me?"

Rhodey sighed and rolled his eyes. "I got another twenty minutes inbound. Figured I'd get you some help now."

"Jar, location on S.H.I.E.L.D.?"