NINE

Sometimes, whom they say is bad is who may be good for you.
Ziterem.

_________________________

Toby.

I watched as Jerome, Afam and Dandy talked, laughing hysterically at some point and then nodding. I never really blended with anyone who wasn't Jerome and now, Wale. Sometimes I felt pained that he made out time for them. True we had our moments, but it was often as though he was more himself with them, with Afam. I wanted to know why. Maybe I'd meander my way to Dandy, do something he likes and start feeling welcomed.

"Hey,"

Shit. It's her!

I put on a smug smile and turned. Zara stood there, looking more beautiful than I'd ever anticipated. Her cornrows were neater, perhaps re-braided. She looked more than fine.

"I heard you're presenting today." I said.

She nodded, smiling. "Most definitely."

"Good luck dear." I said, placing a comforting arm on her shoulder.

She grinned. "Thank you."

Zara walked past me and headed to the biology lab. Just then, Jerome came in front of me. He smiled. "Bro. Lemme be going, presentation."

I smirked. "Good luck."

He nodded and made to go, I stopped him.

"Hey!" Someone called. It was Michael. "Jerome, Bald man!"

Jerome smirked. "I'm trying to do the Banky W style. My beards are even growing."

Both he and Michael laughed it off. I was stunned, previously he'd get angry or glare at anyone who makes a nasty comment but now he just flowed with it and then he'd crack some joke and everyone instead of laughing at him would laugh with him.

I also wondered what almost everyone saw in Jerome, I wanted people to recognize me too, I was tired of being that guy in middle class. My parents were filthy rich! I just always felt like everyone noticed Jerome more than me, and we were friends. I needed to be like him or more, mix with people and get friends.

"Hey," I said quietly. "Do well bro. Zara presenting with you?"

I excepted him to give me a disgusted look, instead he just smiled and nodded.

Ehn? Abi she has won him over? Are the talking now?

I recalled their exchange at the dinning hall last week, they seemed -

They had been flirting. No. He was trying to flirt. Lord. Something wasn't even right.

I clenched my jaws. If possible, Zara might fall for him oh? I needed to make my stand, I made a decision to make it possible that i upgrade my social class. She'd prefer it, I see the way girls drool over Jerome. He was popular, friendly, he could sing, draw. All the right reasons people would love him. But I could dance, I was in the school football club. Surely I could also make good use of it.

"Bye," Jerome smiled warmly and turned away.

The next person that walked past me was one person I secretly admired. Afam. He like Jerome was also very popular, blending in was not a problem to him. He had no talent that I knew of oh, the only thing he did was make people smile and laugh. And Afam, just like Jerome was absolutely selfless.

I'm just fucking tired of being that cool boy by the corner.

          ~~~~~~~~~~ZARA~~~~~~~~~~