Thirteen

Zara

Breakfast was usually filled with lots of noise, clattering, chattering and mischief. However,  Friday breakfast seemed different. I couldn't place my hand on it, but I felt that something was out of place. Ene walked beside me, swinging her arms deliberately.

"SS3 boys weren't around for breakfast." Mona stated.

"Weird," I muttered. "Very weird."

We were now headed towards the classroom area.  We walked quietly past the girls hostel and headed straight down. That was when it caught my eye. The park. The school park was filled with boxes, beds, lockers and students.

"What's going on?" Ene muttered.

I shrugged dumbly as we walked towards it. I was soon able to make out some faces. I could see Baruwa, beside him was Dandy.

"I think —" Jacqueline stopped her sentence short when all eyes stopped short for the drama. Glory Fashina stood before her boyfriend Wole, hugging him closely. Her red rimmed eyes scanned everywhere and no where. Light tears Cascaded down her cheeks as she muttered.

We walked on. I heard more sobs, saw more tears yet I was — normal.

"Oh my Lord." Ene choked beside me. I turned to her. "The boys... The panel boys.. I think.. They are being sent home."

I looked up instantly. My eyes connecting with familiar ones. Toby. He looked away,  casting his lashes down and turning so that his back was to me. Ene left my side and ran to him. Mona sighed and shook her head, I heard Grace mutter that she was going to class and Jacq agreed to go to. I walked over to Ene. On getting to where Ene stood talking to Toby, I saw his eyes clearly. He had been crying.

"So.. They'll just tell you guys to go home until further notice?!"

"Ene calm down."

"How come you guys are only nineteen?! I'm sure more than half of the people left behind also jump fence.. Why —"

I watched as he pulled her close and hugged her. Ene resigned limply and let the tears in her eyes fall. "Your testimonial will be dented."

She placed her hands around his torso and cried harder. "This is so sad. It's not like you're dying or anything but it's really sad."

Toby pulled back. "Don't."

"I can't help it.." Ene burst into tears,  letting the water flow uncontrollably. I knew how close they were, and it hurt me to see them both in tears.

Toby looked away and moved back, lifting his hands to his face. I stepped forward and pulled the crying Ene into my arms. She leaned in and sobbed. Toby signalled for me to take her away. I did as he asked. I walked with her towards classroom area. And I kept wondering why everyone was getting emotional. They were still coming back right?

"Stop crying now, You'll still see him at home sef."

She pulled away from me. "It's different. Their testimonials.. They'll get expelled from boarding house. We'll barely see them.. It's the last days, We expect more nice memories. This is sad."

"Wait.. I thought they were only being suspended."

"No. They've been expelled from the boarding house. None of them will be coming back.."

I suddenly understood what she meant by different.

I sighed and looked back towards the park. Toby now stood beside Wale and Jerome,  his shoulders slumped and his hands limply flying about, explaining something. I felt sorry for him and I was yet to give a proper goodbye.