02. Starry Night

0 2

It was eight in the evening, as I was gathering my belongings carefully. Keys, phone and the tickets for tonight's gallery were ready in my hands. Who would've thought that I would go out of my comfort zone and actually walk among people, interact with them and act as a normal human being for once in a life time.

But the truth is, if the tickets weren't free, gifted to me by my roommate, I'd probably stay inside the apartment once again, dressed in pajamas and watch dramas until my brain replaces the night with the bright day light.

"Erika, what if someone ends up like that girl from a few days ago." Haru asks, and I press the phone against my ear. I could literally see her putting on the lipstick while she's puckering to her reflection in the mirror.

"There's going to be so many people attending this event. The police doesn't even know who the kidnapper is or what he actually looks like."

Haru, my roommate, is the exact opposite of my own being. She is always bubbly, talkative and full of energy almost every second of the day. She was an extrovert, a contrast to me, an introvert who doesn't make friends, we just get adopted by the extroverts.

However, when it comes to the crime that happened nearby, she would act just like me; her voice would be stiff and insecure, rather withdrawn while forming jokes and nervous laughs because she as well, was scared to death.

''I'm telling you Erika, I have this weird feeling in my gut that the creep will show up tonight.'' She assures on the other line.

''Oh my god, can you stop talking about that? It keeps repeating on every single chanel and I think I'll actually go insane.''

''But aren't you worried though?'' She asks, to which I give a nod of confirmation even though she couldn't see me.

Of course I was worried. The streets of our town weren't safe anymore because a maniac was on the loose, kidnapping women and for all I know, both Haru and I fit the profile of the missing girls just perfectly.

It was unusual for something like this to happen so nearby, but once it did, the whole town was raving about it, everyone's afternoon talk was either about the kidnapping or about who's going to be next.

''To be honest with you Eri, if he was hot I wouldn't mind him kidnapping me as well.''

''Haru!'' I yell, struggling to keep my cellphone pressed against my ear as I put on my shoes.

''I'm kidding, I'm kidding.''

There's a little pause before she speaks up again. ''Anyway, I'll meet you at the gallery in about fifteen minutes, don't be late!''

Before I get the chance to mutter a simple ''okay'', Haru had already hung up, causing me to let out a long sigh.

Since the art museum wasn't far way from the apartment I lived in, it took only ten minutes of walking to actually get there.

Tonight's theme of the art exhibition was Vincent Van Gogh and his life through paintings. Which was enough to spark up the the fire of interest within me and push me out of my comfort zone to finally leave my apartment for the day.

Once there, I was immediately attacked by the wave of voices, different smells and way too many glances; ugh people.

You got this, I mentally encouraged myself. It's just for tonight.

As I was wriggling my way through the crowd, I noticed a pattern of people; each of them wearing something you could only let your eyes see but not the wallet in your pocket. Classy, was one word to described them, though the looks they were giving me were far from being classy.

Of course I didn't wear designer shoes, and didn't have my hair done by a professional stylist this morning but I didn't care. I came here to see the paintings, to enjoy the art in front of me and was hoping that there will be food as well.

Not even a minute had passed by and I already wished to go back home and switch into my pajamas.

erika: where are u?

haru: be there in a minute! sorry!

read 8:20 pm

After putting the phone back into my pocket, I remained standing there, not wanting to walk any further because the crowd was giving me anxiety.

So I lock my view in front of me, eyes glancing at the painting covered in dark blues and bright yellows. The swirling traces of a brush seemed to calm my nerves a bit, as I was getting lost in the story hidden behind it; it was Starry Night, one of Van Gogh's most famous piece of artwork.

It was breathtaking.

But my amazement was soon interrupted by a voice coming from behind me. It was rather low, husky and yet calming.

''Mesmerizing, isn't it?''

I don't dare to look behind me so I just stand still, acting as if I didn't hear the person's question in hope that they would just leave.

But they don't.

In fact, they speak up again, this time their voice a bit louder, and I could almost feel someone's breath brushing against the skin on my neck, their presence being too close to my own. ''Art looking at another piece of art.''

I turn around slowly, my eyes seeing his face and in that moment, I forgot how to breathe again.

A/N

what do you think? is it good so far? let me know, leave a vote & comment. hope you're having a wonderful day. i love youu.