Chapter XXIV

"As the count of murders rises up to 3, the safety office in Level 4 has declared that they're indeed dealing with a serial killer. With people afraid to leave their homes and locking themselves in for days at a time, the productivity is decreasing greatly, but the murderer is still on the loose-"

Mira turned the TV off and smirked.

"Level 4, huh?"

Moments later she was standing in the governor's office, trying to convince her to give her a temporary trolley pass.

"Ma'am please - there's a serial killer on the loose, and I can't exactly sit around here doing nothing for the whole eternity-"

"Then why aren't you doing anything?"

"Because I can't take part in the current case because my relatives are suspects, and nothing else is happening at the moment that would require my attention!"

The governor glanced at her through the top of her glasses.

"Really, Fader. You're telling me that throughout the whole Level, there's not a single case you could work on?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying! There's nothing for me to-"

"I'll need a note."

"Sorry, what?"

"I'll need a note from the head officer, that would state the same thing you're saying. If you bring me that, I'll reconsider your pass situation, but for now - no way." she said and turned back to her screen, pretending as if Mira wasn't there.

Mira stood there for a few more moments and after letting out an audible sigh, left the building and headed to the safety office. She knew there was no way that the head officer would write that note for her, but at the same time, if she didn't at least try, the odds would be at 0%.

She climbed up a few flights of stairs and softly knocked on the door. As she entered, the head officer looked at her for a spare moment and turned back to the screen.

"Let me guess... you have nothing to do on this Level, and you want to go to Level 4-"

"How did you-"

"And catch the serial killer, don't you?"

"I mean-"

"But the governor doesn't want to issue a trolley pass for you, because she thinks there's plenty of cases around here, and-"

"Yes, and-"

"And she wants me to write you a note that you could give her saying 'ma'am, she's bored, give her some work', right?"

"Yes, that's exactly right, and-"

"Here you go." He said, handing her a small sheet of paper.

"I'm sorry, what?" she answered with a question.

"Take it before I change my mind." he shook the paper and Mira took it immediately.

She took a look at it and after realizing that the note was exactly what she had wanted, her face lit up with a smile.

"Oh my goodness, thank you so much! May Vetos' stars shine upon you!" she shouted out before running out of the room, and the cheesy greeting made the head officer chuckle.

"Fader, nobody says that anymore." he said quietly as he stared at the door that Mira didn't close completely, and it was just slightly opened.

He stood up out of his chair, and walked to the door and slammed it a little harder than he intended to, all while grunting.