Chapter 2 ~ Sneaking Out of the Doctor's Office

I rubbed my temple wearily as I rearranged the medicine in the cabinet. The party last night had been great and Winnie had fun playing with Judith and the other babies in the neighborhood. But it had only tired me out. It didn't help that I'd drank too much and had gotten sick this morning. At least I guess that I'd drank too much but in all honesty, I'd thought I only had a glass or two. Maybe I needed a check-up myself, I thought wryly. Shrugging, I turned back around to face Tobin.

Gently, I wrapped the bandage I had found around the gash on his arm.

"You've got to be more careful - wounds like that can get infected," I warned him, arching an eyebrow up at the older man sitting before me.

He sighed, nodding, "Well, I'm usually careful but today, Billy was helping out and-"

"I know, I know. Still though, you've got to take care of yourself because-" I began to say when he cut me off abruptly.

"-because I'm getting older?" he deadpanned.

I grinned and shook my head, making strands of chocolate brown hair fall in my face.

"I was going to say because you're important to the community," I smiled playfully as I finished bandaging his arm.

He glanced down at the tightly-wrapped bandage briefly before sending me an appreciative smile.

"Thanks, Angel. You are one, you know," he joked, his voice becoming more serious as he continued, sincerity ringing clear in his voice, "It's young people like you who are going to rebuild this world."

I smiled, feeling warmth spread through me at the compliment. Just then, the bells on the door to the Infirmary tinkled and I glanced up to see Carl stride inside. Ah, he must have just gotten back from his supply run with Rick. They'd left early this morning while I was dropping off Winnie at Rick and Michonne's place. It took forever for Carl to convince Rick to let us move into a house together beside them but finally, he'd relented and it had just been the three of us on our own for the past five months.

"No problem. Come back to see me in two weeks so I can change out the bandage." I advised and Tobin nodded, passing Carl on his way out.

As the door swung shut behind him, Carl grinned over at me and I returned it before turning back to my work.

"You're becoming good at this doctor stuff," he joked as I attempted to concentrate on what I was doing.

"All thanks to Denise's books, believe me." I laughed, shaking my head.

Coming up behind me, his arms wrapped around my waist and he pulled my body flush against his - my back to his chest. I involuntarily smiled at the warmth right before he began pressing hot kisses to my neck, making goosebumps pop up across my skin.

I groaned, "Don't do that, Carl! I'm working!"

Pushing him slightly away from me, I heard his deep chuckle resonate in the air.

"Well, are you nearly done? I wanted you to come with me," he begged, faking a pout.

I rolled my brown eyes playfully, my white coat swishing back and forth around my legs as I walked. Quickly, I put up the medicine I'd used on patients today back in the cabinet before facing my fiancee once again.

"Go where?" I asked in confusion, suddenly remembering he hadn't said a location.

He smirked and instantly, I was reminded of the young boy he'd been when we first met, his blue orb filled with a mischievousness he'd once held. His hand grabbed mine just as I'd shrugged off my coat and he whisked me out the back door, the sound of our laughter reminiscent of carefree, preapocalypse teenagers.