She Came at Just the Right Time

"She came at just the right time. It was fate. True love. And, uh, you don't choose who you fall in love with; it just happens. I fell in love, and will be forever in love with her. And it's magical; the greatest thing in the world."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that was it. I didn't even hesitate. It seemed like a mistake. I just let her go. I lied awake night after night just staring up at the ceiling, wondering if I'd ever see her again. Everyday for the next two weeks my eyes danced across the rooms of my different classes, recreating that beautiful night.

And then I came to a terrible realization. She was gone. Already to San Jose. The drive from Atherton to Stevie's school was only about half an hour but once I left high school I planned on going to LA which was around seven hours away. I didn't even think she really wanted to see me again.

My father hated me, I swear. He thought I was unmotivated, lazy and idiotic when I told him I wanted to go LA.

"Lindsey, come on now, are you really considering that?"

"Yes sir. I sure am. It's what I feel I need to do."

"Rock stars are a dime a dozen now a days, why would you be picked? Please tell me that."

"Because, well.... I don't know..."

"Lindsey. I don't know what has happened to you in the last month, but you've changed. Your teachers said you weren't paying attention the last few weeks of school and you've missed three swimming practices this week alone! What happened to you?"

"Well, um, nothing sir.

"Nothing? Then I expect your best behavior from now on. That means keeping up with your schoolwork and swimming everyday. Universities are looking around at this very moment and you must be top notch! I'm counting on a full-ride, Lindsey. Your brothers managed!"

"But Dad, Greg likes swimming! I want to do more with my life!"

"Lindsey! Swimming gets scholarships; singing does not."

"But dad-"

"Listen to me. I want you to go to school as soon as you're out of Menlo-Artherton. Alright? That means no singing, no guitar-playing and nothing else that may distract you from the overall goal! I do not, and will not ever, support you if you go to LA! Understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Now go up to your room!"

I sank into my bed after storming in my room and slamming the door. Starring at the ceiling, I started thinking about Stevie. She was so perfect and amazing and everything I'd ever wanted in a girl.

Suddenly, but surely, I came up with a brilliant plan and was prepared to bravely execute it. I didn't have a car, but Jack had a beat-up VW bus sitting in his driveway barely running. He'd also lend it to me for sure. One night this summer, soon, I would tell my parents I was going camping with Jack's family, then I would bring Jack with me to San Jose, and to Stevie.

Flawless plan? Nah, but I could iron out the wrinkles. Anything to see or be with Stevie.