~~1~~

I walked past everyone in line for lunch on my way to my next class. I never really ate lunch except for when my parents were around so I would wander the halls or wait outside the door to my next class. I watched as everybody funnelled in towards the double doors that led to the cafeteria. Today was a strange day for me. I had forgotten my headphones at home, forcing me to listen to the chaos that was school. I hated it. But as I passed everybody, I forced myself to clear the voices from my head. I searched for the background noises. Something that I could grab onto that could distract me from the pounding sounds of teens. And that was the first time I heard it. It was a melody playing quietly on the other side of a door. I looked up to see which room.

The choir room. Someone must have been playing on the other side, just for fun. It was a gentle sound. A sound that could put someone to sleep. I opened up the door and peeked into the room. But as I stepped in and I looked around, I noticed it was empty. Nobody was in here. But the sound played on. I listened for it, hearing that it was coming from the practice rooms in the back. They were small rooms where you could practice singing or play piano. I entered the dim hallway, watching the light shine out from one room in articular. It was only room that was lit. The music was now surrounding me. I enjoyed it. Not wanting to disturb the player. I sat down against the wall, away from the view through the window in the door. I waited and listened and my ears were rewarded with beautiful music. I envied the player, but more than that, I loved them for this.