~~4~~

He wasn't in the practice room the next day. Friday. A day of excitement and liveliness for everyone in the school, too excited to leave than to do actual work in classes. It was lunch hour. I walked past the doors again and into the back rooms where he should be. But he wasn't. The door was shut closed and the light off creating what seemed like a bottomless void into nothingness. I walked out with a staggered look, wondering where he would have gone. This was his routine. His hobby. His fun. I messed up. I sped through the hallways, slowing down when I neared the doors where the mass of teens pushed and shoved up to the double doors. I walked through the side doors into the cafeteria which was now overflowing with kids. I looked around at all the tables. There were so many tables and chairs and people that I could never fit through to a spot to sit. But as I looked, I spotted him. Tyler. He was sitting with the other guys who played basketball. He was smiling and laughing at everyone at the table. He was different. He wasn't the kid who I had seen yesterday who ran away from me. At least, not on the outside. I studied him as he watched everyone talked around him. He just stared forward, not adding to the conversation. All of a sudden I was pushed forward out of the doorway and down to the ground. I felt eyes on me. Everyone in the whole lunch was staring at me. I looked behind me and the captain of the football team hovered over me.