True love

Tay's POV

I kinda just stood there staring at Mitch's sleeping body when i heard a noise behind me.

Footsteps scare me ever since the incident.

I whipped around to see Mat in front of me wide awake. His hair was scruffed up a little bit, and his white t-shirt hung over the rim of his striped shorts. I never really knew how tall he was until i stood right in his path.

"Hi," i spoke to him softly.

He smiled.

I expected him to turn around and walk away but he didn't. I thought he was just down here to eat breakfast or something, but instead he just stared at me.

He opened his mouth to finally speak, "How are you this morning?"

His voice was like an angel's. Serene, and relaxing.

"Im fine, how are you?"

He nodded his head as if to say okay.

"Do you want some breakfast?"

I smiled shyly, and he made us both pancakes. We ate together in peace.

"I can't believe the guys aren't up yet," i laughed.

He looked up from his plate and his eyes twinkled. He didn't answer though. Instead, he said ,"You know i'm the one that carried you to bed."

I smiled at his tired face. "Awe, thanks." My smile stretched up my cheeks. "Why did you do that?"

I waited and waited for an answer, but he just continued to eat. So i stood up and put my plate into the sink. Mat got up, too, and did the same. He stopped me in the hallway when i was walking back to my room.

"Um, Taylor, I just want to say i think-" His wavey hair seemed to bounce when he scratched the back of his skull. "Um, nevermind."

"Nevermind," he said much quieter this time.

I allowed him to back up from me and go back to the living room.

I sat in my room until it was about 12 when Mitch woke up.

Mat's POV

I realized i had to change my decision half-way into my sentence.

My stomach fluttered.

My head hurt.

My cheeks burned.

I couldn't do it.

I made the casual excuse "nevermind" and luckily, she let me leave. I'm happy she wasn't that interested.

I don't know when i would be able to let her know, but thoughts inside my head are getting piled up. Eventually, they'll be too much to hold in.

Mitch's POV

I awoke to hear Mat's quiet voice talking to Taylor in the hallway upstairs.

He was about to tell her something, but dismissed it. I really wondered what it was.

I eyed my phone for a while when Mat came down and sat on the couch. "Hey dood," i said in a hoarse voice.

"Hey man," he answered openly.

I decided not to question him. He played on his laptop while i played on my phone.

Mat cleared his throat.

"Um, Mitch?"

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Do you love Taylor?"

"I just met her recently, but i guess you can say that."

"Do you believe in love at first sight?" He surprised me with this question.

"Sometimes."

"Well, i hope you know that I do."

"That's fine."

"True love, Mitch."

"Okay," I answered.

And he walked away. Then, it hit me.

I jumped up after Mat and ran to him before he could get to Taylor.

"You love Taylor," I said questionably.

His throat bobbled up and down a couple times, but then nodded.

"Bro, listen. I'm sorry things can't be the way you want them to be...."

I started talking and placed my hands on his shoulders.

".....But I love Taylor. And i keep her safe. I know her a lot more than you would think, and this just wont make her comfortable."

He looked down at our shoes, and i backed away from him to give him room.

He looked back up with a sad look in his eyes.

"Okay. I got it," He said smiling.

Something deep inside of me was doubting his words. I would bet a good amount to know if his was, too.