Chapter VI: Beside You

And if your wears thin, I will hold you up

And I will hide you when it gets too much

I’ll be right beside you

I will sing, nobody will break you

Trust in me, trust in me

Don’t pull away!

Just trust in me, trust me

‘Cause I’m just trying to keep it together

‘Cause I could do worse and you could do better

~Beside You, Marianas Trench

Valentina’s POV

It had been a few days since Josh had found out about JJ and all was good. On Tuesday-the day Josh found out about my terrible job selection in Calgary-Gabe and Lily had arrived. They were staying for two weeks because they already missed me. Plus, Lily wanted to see the house I lived in when I left her so many years ago. When she met Josh, she looked like she wanted to kill him because he was the one who got me preggers. However, I got her to stay calm and collected. Josh was thankful.

It was Friday and once again, all the guys of Marianas Trench was at my house. JJ had gone off with Lily and Gabe to go do something fun. Gabe wanted to spend more time with his only nephew and Lily just wanted to tag along with her boyfriend. It still makes me shiver when I think of them as a couple. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for them, but seriously. It scares me. The only good thing out of it is that if they get married, Lily and I will be related like we always wanted.

While JJ, Gabe and Lily were gone for the whole day, the guys, Emily and I decided to have a barbecue. Mike and Ian were in charge for cooking the meat. Matt and Emily for getting drinks. Beer for the people who drank. I was just going to drink ice tea like normally. Ice tea was like water for me. It was delicious. Josh and I were in charge of the healthy stuff. Like salad and veggies. Along with fruit salad. Yes, I was a major health freak. I needed fruit and vegetables every day. I didn’t eat chocolate or cake, that was a huge no-no for me.

I tried my best to stay away from very fattening dressings on salads. Along with bacon. I knew people added bacon to their salads, but that just ruined the whole concept of having a healthy salad. I didn’t understand people’s logic, but whatever. You see people, this is why I’m fit. I don’t eat ice cream or drown my salads in bacon, chicken and dressing. I run and exercise when I’m not watching Mike, Matt, Ian and Josh. Although, watching them is a workout.

As I chopped the cucumbers, I felt Josh wrap his arm around my waist. He rested his chin on top of my head. Recently, he had been poking fun at my height. Jackass. It’s not fun being short when he’s 6"2. He’s intimidating. But I knew he wouldn’t dare try to sneak up on me or anything like that because he knows that I will rip off his balls. It was nice being tiny and threatening the taller people. It made them look like a wuss.

"Can I help you?" I asked Josh. I set the knife down gently on the counter and attempted to look up at him. Failed.

He moved his head down to my shoulder and looked at me. "No, just continue what you’re doing." I picked up the knife again and tried to focus on cutting, but I couldn’t when I could feel his breath on the side of my neck. Not only that, his smell was intoxicating. He smelled like Axe. I didn’t know what kind of Axe, but it smelt really good. Josh could see I was struggling trying to focus, so he placed his lips on my neck. "Am I distracting you?"