Chapter 10.

Sadie's POV

"Ah!" I shouted loudly till my throat seemed raw, my hands clutching my head. I wanted to scream more, but after what happened last time, I knew I just needed to breath. My breaths started to come out fast, almost like I was hyperventilating, and my head seemed to pound even more. "S-Sam, sam..." I called in between breaths.

Suddenly, it was liked I was picked up and turned over, even though I didn't feel anything. I glanced up and saw Sam's face, he was whispering soft words that I could barely hear over my breath, and his hand was brushing over my hair, combing it back. I sat there and focused on him instead of the pain, instead of the memory that's played itself over five times now, focusing on his movement and trying to remember what it would feel like if he was really here.

Slowly, everything started to fade. The pain was gone within a few more seconds and my breathing had started to return to normal. I relaxed my muscles, letting my arms fall down by my sides and my eyes lazily look up at Sam.

"It's getting worse, each time it's getting worse." I sighed. I don't know how much longer I can do this Sam." My voice came out a whisper as I turned my head, looking off into the fields of flowers.

"Hey now, don't talk like that." Sam said softly but fiercely  "You are Sadie Walker, you go undercover at high schools  colleges, gangs, mobs, you travel in unknown secrete tunnels. Heck, you even played soccer like it was a board game, and did cheerleading like you made the sport up. This should be nothing." He said with a chuckled. I tried to smile, but as he spoke, I could basically hear my own voice saying the same thing. I knew that's what it was, just myself giving a me a pep talk  but it still made me feel a little better, strangely enough.

"Yeah, but all of that stuff was child's play," I whispered. "This is another kind of torture. Reliving your worst memory over and over again," I said slowly, my voice barely above a whisper. "Feeling the emotions and pain as if it were fresh. Gunshot wounds and being stabbed by a knife hurts less than this."

"Are you sure? I mean, I've seen some pretty messed up people who were tortured." Sam sad jokingly.

"Sadly I've been tortured before, first hand experience to know that this... this is definitely worse." I sighed, and closed my eyes again. Then everything started to get dizzying again and my eyes flashed open in a panic  "No, no, no... I don't want to do this again, I just-just …  I squeezed my head as the pain came and held my breath, waiting for everything to stop spinning.

_____________________________________________________________

Sam's POV

The sound of the helicopter vibrated through my chest and worked it's way through. I finished strapping the seat belts on and clicked on the headset so I could hear everyone else. I looked over at Clair, Nate, and Austin, sadly. Not being able to tell them that this reminded me of the last time I rode in that helicopter... They wouldn't be able to share in the experience because it was Sadie I shared it with. 

I remembered it perfectly, because it was the day Sadie saved my life. Technically I also saved hers, but she saved me from more than bullets. I was lying on the floor the first time I rode in a helicopter, but Sadie was kneeling right their next to me the entire time. Now as I sit here, I couldn't but think how much different it looks because i'm right side up... though it's more different because she's not here.