Chapter 11.

Sam's Pov

I gathered everyone in a small land rover, knowing that we could only take it just a little further, but the less we had to walk meant the more ground we could cover. I had taken over the drivers seat with Clair in shotgun, Nate and Austin were in the seats behind me and all three of them were keeping a vigilant eye out for any signs of life. Something that could lead to Sadie and her whereabouts. 

THe forest around us was covered in snow, barely antyhint peaked out from underneath except for a few lucky branches. I could easily see my breath as we had the windows cracked and the air off, and I could already feel my nose turning red from the cold.
        We had only been driving for ten minutes when I knew it was time to go the rest of the way on foot, so we hid the car with a cameo net beneath a group of trees and started to truck on. After we started to make our way, the only sound being our quiet footsteps as we crunched through the powder snow. My mind was set and I was ready for anything, especially to find her. This cold weather nipped and bit at my exposed flesh, though it didn't bother me, just the thoughts that I had been trying to keep out of my head were the problems.

'You gotta keep a clear head so you can focus on the main part of each mission' Sadie's voice rang in my ears like she was beside me, though I knew it was only a memory. 

I'm trying. I thought back, basically answering myself, or a memory. 

'Always be on your guard, never for one-second thin that you are alone.' Another memory f her instructions went through my head. 

Just then, a heard the sound of twigs snapping. I Quickly turned my head and scanned the area around me, looking for anything that could be hidden in plain sight or in the shadows. Though, when a young female dear peaked her head out of a small bushel of trees, I mentally sighed, though I didn't relax. I still had the feeling of something breathing down my neck.

I shook my head and waved everyone forwards, and we continued on our path. After counting the meters and scanning the area, I knew we were getting to the area where we would have to start spreading out more to cover more ground. I gave the signal for Clair and Nate to started heading off towards my right with two other men, then Austin started to speed out with two other men off to my right.
        We were in two very lopsided triangles as we started to spread out, each of us in an area so we could protect on another if need be, and so we can have triple the surveillance overlooking every aspect of our surroundings. In a perfect world, we would have found somehitng right about now to lead us to where Sadie was being kept. But this was anything but a perfect world and we ended up walking all the way to the third corner of the triangle with no signs of anything.

I sighed and my chest tried to weigh me down, but I didn't let it. I had to continue as I knew we still had more ground to cover. 

"You know what we have to do, and don't leave any sounds or tracks in your wake." I told my team in a hush voice. They all nodded and started to spread out even more, leaving even more holes in our formation and more room for injuries if we did run into any trouble. 

'Don't think about that, Sam. You always have to focus on the path you have set before you, the plan you made. If you deviate from it last minute you can miss something important  You only break specific formations if you know that's what is best for the situation and your team.' Sadie's voice once again rang through my head.

She must have done a good job at hammering information into my head. I chuckled to myself, mentally shaking my head. I once again surveyed the area around me, taking in the way the snow laid on the ground and the way the trees looked. Some of it was a little more barren then the others, leaving more openness for us to see, yet also creating more danger for us to possibly become a target.