-Chapter 8

They did nothing in the first place. They hated to see me mentally unwell, so they sent me letters. They prayed for me every day to get better. I shut them out.

 Anthony starts crying. “She’s gone, dude.”

I become confused. “Who’s gone? I don’t understand Anthony. Who’s gone?”

“Kalel’s gone.”

“What, did she leave you?” I ask.

“No, she’s dead.” Anthony cries. “She died giving birth to Ian.”

“Aha! You named your child after me. You do care.” I tease.

“Of course I care.” Anthony says. “You are my best friend, and always have been.”

“Why haven’t you bothered to contact me in the last five years then?” I yell.

“Why haven’t you?” He replies. “Oh, that’s right. You sat at home, rocking back and forth in a corner. Crying about me, wondering if I was going to come back and announce my love for you.” He says bitterly.

I can’t say anything, because it’s true. That’s what happened.

“You’re right Anthony.” I sigh. “I’m in love with you, I can’t deny it. Can we put it behind us though? I want to be in your life again.”

“Sure Ian.” He says. “I want you to meet your nephew too.”

“I still can’t believe you named him after me Anthony.” I laugh. “You would have done the same.” He says. “Y’know, I didn’t even recognize you Ian. What happened to the bowl?”

“I grew up.” I sigh. “So I cut it off and dyed it.”

“Oh.”

It’s true though. I was still a kid at 25 years old. Now I’m not much off 40, and I’m a whole different person. It happens with age, I guess. I don’t see my insanity to be childish. Everyone does stupid stuff when they’re in love, despite the age.

 There is an awkward silence. I feel a bit embarrassed for admitting my love for Anthony like I did. I might as well have had a big neon sign above my head.

 “Drop me a line when you’re near, okay?” Anthony says.

“Yeah, I will. Bye.” I say as I hang up.