-Chapter 20

It's the day of the court case, and I haven't slept a wink. I'm sort of nervous, being face to face with the man helped create me, who also tried to kill me. It’s hypocritical in a way.

So much has happened in the last three months. I can't believe I drove that payphone with my unregistered car. And then I broke the payphone.

Speaking to Anthony for the first time in five years. Getting shot. Dying twice. Getting over a mental illness. Wow.

Also, I've been thinking about Anthony. He actually loves me. I can't believe it, I'm so happy.

I wonder what the future brings for us. Maybe I'll move into his house and live happily ever after, perhaps?

Nothing ever works out for me, though. As soon as I leave the house, I get shot. Why me?

  The nurse that showers me usually comes around about now.

“Where is she Anthony?” I wonder, starting to freak out. “I have to be in court in an hour!”

“She’s sick and can’t make it today.” He says. “But I’ve agreed to help you.” He says, looking a bit embarrassed.

Oh god, Anthony seeing me naked for the first time? That’s going to be a little awkward. But we love each other, right? So it shouldn’t be. 

“Okay.” I say nervously, lifting myself out of bed. It’s taken me a while to teach myself that. Anthony helps me into the shower chair, which he wheels into the bathroom. Just in case, he locks the door.

“Uh, are you capable of taking off your hospital gown?” He asks me.

“My arms aren’t busted, y’know.” I say, taking it off.

“Nice to know that your pee-pee still works.” Anthony mutters, turning the shower on.

I look down. I have a raging boner and because of my paraplegia, I didn’t even notice it.

I try to throw one of my legs over it, but I can’t reach. “Oh gee Anthony, I’m so sorry.”

“I love you, remember?” He says, kissing me. “No need to apologize.” He winks at me seductively and licks his lips.

“You know, you’re not exactly helping Anthony.” I say through gritted teeth. “I want this to go away before I get to court, you hear?”

Anthony takes his shirt off, revealing his abs. “Why, do you find me distracting?” he says, laughing.

“Yes, I do.” I say, flicking shampoo into his eye. I know it was mean, but he deserved it.

“Aw c’mon man, not cool.” He says, rushing to the sink.

“Sorry!” I laugh. “Maybe you shouldn’t be so distracting.”