Chapter Seven

Josies P.O.V

Colby set me down on the edge of my bed so I could sit and he sat next to me, I could see ms kitching standing in front of us but it was like the rest of the world was blurred.

"Okay so I need you two to understand somethings."

"Josie is sixteen, Colby you are nineteen. You only have a few more months left in the teens ward. Don't get me wrong I'm trying my hardest to keep you here but I can't go against policy" she explained, I leaned my head against Colbys shoulder and squeezed my eyes shut to try and dull out the throbbing in my head.

"We are three years apart, you can't hold that against us. We are just friends anyway"Colby argued, I let my arm settle on his shoulder and squeezed to get him to stop arguing with her "She's trying Colby, give her that"I said even though for a few seconds afterwards I didn't know if I said it out loud or not.

"I'm not stupid, you are clearly not just friends and I can get past that"ms Kitching said, I opened my eyes and tried to stand up but my legs gave out pretty quickly, Colby caught me by hooking his arms under mine "Colby thank you but can you please leave so I can take some pictures of Josies bruises?"she asked. Colby nodded and set me back down on the bed.

He gave me a quick hug before walking out of the room and closing the door behind him.

"Okay Josie I'm gonna need you to strip down so we can take pictures of the bruises you obtained, they will only go in your file"

I shook my head and scooted back to the corner of my bed.

"Josie you need to show me the bruises so I can make sure that it never happens again"She told me, stepping closer and kneeling down on the side of the bed to be more level with me.

I slowly pulled up the sleeves of my hoodie to reveal the blackish green bruises from the restraints. Something about ms kitching was so comforting and motherly but she looked far too young to have any children of her own.

"Do you have Kids?"I asked, my voice raspy and broken

"I had a son"

"Had?"

"He passed away in a car accident a few years ago"she said, a small comforting smile still directed to make me feel better "I'm sorry" .

"Don't feel sorry, dear, it was some time ago and he's in a better place now"she spoke, while taking pictures of my wrists and my ankles.

"Colby mentioned a bruise on your thigh?"she said breaking the awkward tension that had built up after she mentioned her son.

"I think so."I said and she helped me stand so I could take off my leggings and hoodie, I covered my breasts with my arms since we aren't allowed to wear bras here, some weird policy that was put into place after some women tried to strangle eachother with their bras. It made me more than uncomfortable but I trusted ms kitching.

"These bruises are old, Josie.. why are there hand prints on your thighs? This wasn't brought up when they examined you?"

"I was never examined. I was asked stupid questions"

"Do you remember who did this to you?"

"I did it."

"Josie why would you hit yourself this hard?"she asked me and took another picture "you can't hit the walls at my mom's house. She'll get mad and do worse"I stated.

"Did your parents hit you?"

"Just my dad, my mom liked clothes hangers and belts more than hands"

Ms kitching gulped and looked up at me with a look of pure shock and fear "I never understood how parents could inflict that kind of pain onto a child.."she mumbled, I nodded and turned around, finally getting my balance back.

"Okay I'm all done, just sit here and I'll bring you some clothes that aren't ripped."she told me. I sat on my bed put my hoodie back on in the mean time just to cover my stomach.

When she left I broke down and cried, something I rarely did and only did alone because of how weak is made me feel.

I cried because I was upset, angry, scared, I had no idea why i was put in here and there was no way for me to get out.

I wiped my eyes and looked down at the floor when I heard the door open back up "I hope you like black"ms kitching said and set the neatly folded clothes on the bed, when she walked out I changed quickly, laying down on the bed and facing the wall, not going to sleep but instead just staring blankly, being consumed in my thoughts.

Colbys P.O.V

I wanted so bad to be able to hold her and comfort her and tell her she would never have to go through that again but I couldn't because that's the world we live in, where when you have a problem with someone you throw them in here to rot.

The thought of someone hurting her enraged me to an unbelievable extent, if I had been in the room they wouldn't of had to strap her down and muzzle her, if only they hadn't ever separated us this would of never happened and she wouldn't have those horrible bruises on her body and she wouldnt of had to be tranquilized.

I have been the victim of tranquilization a few times, eventually it just stopped calming me down so now they have to give me the more powerful sedatives that could take down an elephant.

Of course Josie wouldn't be able to handle even the regular amount of tranquilizer, she's so tiny that if they had given her the amount they used to give me it probably would've killed her.

You should've kissed her

No she was too out of it, dumbass

Well it still would've been nice

I fought with all the voices in my head telling me to do things to her, I never had these kinds of thoughts when I was with her, only when I was away from her.

**

I was about to lay in bed when the door opened and ms kitching walked in.

"How is she?"I asked frantically

"She's okay, Colby do you know anything about her hitting herself?"she asked, I was taken aback by her question as Josie has never told me about anything having to do with her hurting herself before.

"The marks on her thighs, she told me she did that to herself when she lived at home."ms kitching told me, this all shocked me again because Josie never mentioned any of this to me.

"You can leave now" I said getting quite tired of being around people for the day

"But Colby I-"

"I told you to leave!" I shouted throwing a book towards her, not at her thankfully but it did hit the wall beside her head, she just nodded "I thought you were making such good progress"she mumbled and left the room.

Her words echoed in my mind

I thought you were making such good progress

Over and over again I heard those words, I looked down at my hands and took off the splints, revealing my bent up fingers that have definitely seen better days, it didn't hurt much to move them around and pick things up, but I definitely wouldn't be punching anything for awhile.