06.

06. ➳ WHAT KEPT US GOING
( ! )

      OLIVER CLENCHED HIS JAW, bringing his fist up to the closed wooden door in front of him and knocking on it for the hundredth time

      OLIVER CLENCHED HIS JAW, bringing his fist up to the closed wooden door in front of him and knocking on it for the hundredth time. Evelyn leaned back against the door to her new apartment as she heard the familiar knock once again.

     "Evelyn, please." Oliver begged, "It's been a week, we need to talk about this." Oliver's voice came through the other side of the door, it was demanding yet soft. Oliver wasn't exactly sure why Evelyn was so adamant on pushing him away after he told her he knew her secret identity, and it was getting on his nerves.

     "Look, I don't want you to get hurt." Evelyn admitted. She leaned her head back until it was resting against the door.

     "I know you would never hurt me, Evelyn. Plea—"

     "No Oliver, not me. Hydra. I don't want them to hurt you. I know what you're capable of, but I also know what they are capable of. And that's what I'm afraid of." Evelyn finally admitted as she stood up and faced the door, swallowing a lump in her throat before hesitating to open it.
Oliver stepped inside once the door had been opened, carefully shutting it behind him and crossing his arms as he looked at the woman in front of him.

     "I understand your concern, but you know that I can take care of myself." Oliver said confidently. "You have nothing to worry about. If they are following you, then they already know about me, so there's no point in pushing me away now." Oliver said matter-of-factly. Evelyn sighed.

     "I just don't want to give them any more reasons to hunt you down." Evelyn said, clenching her jaw. Oliver furrowed his eyebrows and tilted his head in clear confusion.

     "Why would they want to hunt me down if they don't even know me?" Oliver asked, many theories coming to mind. Evelyn scoffed and crossed her arms.

     "Oh no, they know everything about you, Oliver." Evelyn stated. "A while ago, when the Arrow first made an appearance in Starling City, Hydra made it my mission to find out who was under the hood and everything about that person... I eventually figured it all out and I tried to hide that information from them, but their methods—" Oliver put a hand on her shoulder, and Evelyn immediately stopped talking.

     "It's okay. I understand, it wasn't your fault." Oliver said, and he really did understand. Oliver would always try to protect his identity, no matter what, but he would also never allow for someone so special and important to him to put their own life at risk in order to protect his identity. "Remember, I can take care of myself." Oliver repeated. Evelyn placed her own hand on top of his and held onto it, giving it a reassuring squeeze.