10.

10. ➳ THE ORGANS

 ➳ THE ORGANS

BEFORE

     EVELYN FIXED THE HOOD OF her black jacket, the Kevlar hiding underneath it perfectly, a gun and a dagger tucked neatly in their holsters in her waistband. Evelyn carefully crawled across the wide metal bars of the ceiling in a large warehouse, a pair of comms stuffed carefully in her ears as she watched the shady interaction between her father and a strange man she didn't know. James Fitzgerald had sent her on a mission to gather intel on a group of doctors, surgeons, and minds alike that sold organs, only to find out, her father was one of the criminal masterminds.

"These are the organs?" The mystery man asked, taking a white medium-sized metal box from her father, Chris Alyce, his deep voice coming though the comms in Evelyn's ears, seeing as the place had been bugged days before.

     "Indeed they are." Chris replied with a nod and a smile. "We've got two hearts, as ordered." He said. Tears sprung in Evelyn's eyes as she spied on her own father, yet she refused to release the hot tears. It wasn't the time nor the place to free the waterworks.

     "Perfect. You've come through once again." Mystery man said. Evelyn cocked an eyebrow.
Once more? How many times had he done this? She thought hatefully, anger rising in her chest.

     "And you've brought the money, of course." Chris said, almost as if wondering if the mystery buyer really had brought the money. Evelyn pulled a small phone-like contraption out of her jacket's pocket, a small screen allowing her to record and take pictures of the interaction quietly while the bugs in the warehouse recorded all audio.

     "I have." Mystery man reassured, pulling out a large black duffel bag from the backseat of a shiny black car that stood parked a few feet behind him. Mystery man took the duffel after shutting the car door and set it on a metal table that sat between him and Chris.

     "One million, five-hundred thousand, correct?" Chris asked, opening the duffel bag slowly and peeking between the bag and the buyer. Evelyn captured as many pictures as possible, already knowing their conversation was being recorded. She took pictures of Chris at every movement while he opened the bag and pulled out the stacks of money.

     "Like we agreed." The buyer reassured. "You're welcome to count it. It's all there." The large buff buyer crossed his arms and leaned against the side of his car, watching Chris take the rubber bands off the stacks of cash and count each stack carefully. As he finished counting each stack, he wrapped it in a rubber band again, his brows and forehead scrunching in concentration as he counted the money. As he finished, he set the cash in the duffel and zipped it up with a nod.