forty three {dallon}

Elle calls me downstairs for dinner. My mom made spaghetti.

I hurry down the stairs and everyone is gathered around the table, scurrying for food and I'm quick to grab a plate and dish up.

"How was school."

"It was great!" I shove a whole fork full of food in mouth to avoid furthering conversation. My mom scoffs in disgust and my dad laughs.

"He's a tall kid, he needs to eat." He chuckles and seasons his food, which doesn't need it, he's just extra and wants to be unhealthy.

"Sometimes you're so tall I can't believe I gave birth to you-"

"Mom, that's gross." Elle says, cutting her food and taking small bites. The difference between us is huge.

"And how was your day?" She asks Elle. To her, nothing is significant. A boy could hit on her and it would be just another Tuesday, or in our case Monday.

"I got asked out today." She says simply.

"And did you turn this one down too?" My dad says in a joking tone. She gets so many people liking her that it isn't unusual anymore.

She lets out a sigh. "Yes, dad, I did."

I'm starting to think she's gay too.

"Well I spent the entire day reading this really good book..." My mom trails. Or maybe I tune her out. I really think it's only my dad that listens to her rambles. He loves her and all.

I want to tell them about Ryan. I want to talk to my mom about the cute boy and how annoying his music taste is. She'd tell me love is putting up with it but I don't love him.

"Mom!" I shout randomly, startling her. She almost threw her fork at me I bet. "Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be that loud." I giggle. My dad is in a fit of laughter now and he gets Elle to grab him a glass of water. "Can we go get ice cream after dinner?"

"If you finish it all."  She says like I'm a kid not wanting to eat their vegetables. It's humorous.

I take big bites but eat slowly. She takes her time and I sip juice. My dad watches us intently like it's a race. He slams his right hand down when I finish and Elle nearly jumps. Can you believe this is a typical dinner at the Weekes' house.

When everyone is done my mom goes to her room and dresses, and my dad sits infront of the TV watching modern family.

Me and Elle pack up everything and she turns to me. "Are you gonna do it? Come out?"

"Should I?"

"I can't answer that for you, Dal. But if you're ready, the scene is set up perfectly." She nudges me. "Whatever happens though, you got me." She smiles cheesily. A big smile I've never seen on her before because she's too cool.

"Thanks, pal."

"Dallon, you ready?"

"I'll have a strawberry sundae!" My dad shouts from the couch.

"I'll get a caramel sundae, pal."

We go out the door and I help her down the stairs. She's old, so old I kind of second guess myself. I wish this was easy. I wish I didn't have to do this. To quote Becky Albertali; why is straight the default?

She sits in the car and holds onto the handle at the top of the food. "I always liked your car a bit more than mine." She says.

"It's the seats, right?" She nods vigorously.

"I'll trade you seats." She jokes.

I pull out of the driveway and make a turn. My family loves ice-cream from McDonald's. Don't know why, we just do.

She sits comfortably in the seats and she warms up quick. It's not that cold.

"Mom." She hums in response. I feel my palms getting sweaty around the steering wheel. "I like someone."

She narrows her eyes at me and smiles. "My Dallon is going to have a girlfriend?" She asks excitedly. "I never thought this day would come."

"Not quite." I say.

"Don't be modest, Dallon. Any girl would be lucky to have you. So, tell me about her." She sits back with a big smile on her face.

"Brown eyes, kind of a big nose but it's nice, kind of short, but everyone is shorter than me. Um, blue hair." I say. "Do you know who I described?"

It's rhetorical. She obviously doesn't know him.

"A mermaid." She said. "Dallon, you can't reproduce with a mermaid sweetie."

Reproduction, gah, why didn't I think of that. Abort mission.

"Actually, no." She smiles. "His name is Ryan."

We pull into the McDonald's and she's quiet. I order surprisingly well. And we pull up to the windows and I dont look at her. I'm too scared. I hand the girl money and she hands me change. And then I drive to the next window and get the ice creams. It's in a tray and I make sure there are spoons.

"Pull over." She whispers.

I swallow a lump in my throat and drive to a parking space. Everything is slow and I feel my heart beating. My face is hot. I think I'm going to have an anxiety attack.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

Her movement is sudden as she embraces me in a hug. As much as she could in a car anyways.

"I love you." She says. It's sweet, it's how she talks. But this sounds sweeter. Better than any other time she's ever said it. Genuine. Not like she's said it a million times. Like it's still fresh and it's better. "You're my son, don't be sorry."

She reassures me that there is no need to be sorry and I'm crying.

I didn't think it would go this way, but I'm still shaking but it's less now. I knew she would be fine with it, just the fact she didn't say anything scared me.

"How long have you known?"

"A year at the most." I say. She hands me my ice cream and we eat. Letting the others melt.

"Were you scared? To tell me, we're you scared to tell me?"

I shake my head. I wasn't. I was just scared of the fact that some people may not agree.

She hugs me once more and tells me she loves me again. A hug weight is off my shoulders but my hand is still trembling and my heart is beating at a fast pace.

We drive back home and she hugs me better when we're out of the car.

This was okay.

-

WC: 1099

IM READING OLD WATTPAD PRIVATE MESSAGES AND THIS PERSON WAS MESSAGING ME ABOUT FOB AND WAS LJKS "WHY ARENT YOU FANGIRLING" AND I WAS LIKE "WELL IDK I GOT IT ALL OUT??" AND THDY WERE LIKE "I LIKED THEM SINCE FOLIE AND I STILL FANGIRL" AND I WAS ALL "WELL THEY NEED TO MAKE NEW MUSIC BC IM BORED" and they were like "I'm done with you you're a disgrace" and I was like "yeah true probably" and they said "idiot... change your name while you're at it" AND I LOST IT except I didn't respond but I was messaging my other friend and was all "DUDE"

Anyways I've considered changing my name but it's what I built this on so like ???? I can't change it what if people are like "wow andyhurleybae was such a bad writer I'm gonna go read their stories now" and then not find me I can't do that to them???

Anyways

-me