Grumpy Beginnings

A/N dedicated to the coolest chick I know

"Wake up you sleepy head, it's 3 in the afternoon for God's sake!"

"Why do you always have to do this Eleonor?" Jordynn looked at me with a hint of annoyance in her eyes while pulling the covers up to her chin.

"Well, I made you some breakfast because you sure had a busy night huh?" I winked at her before pulling the covers off of her bed, leaving her to get dressed.

"That's no excuse!" She exclaimed.

I ignored her retort and walked away into the kitchen, but not after hearing her mutter "She better made me a fucking stack of pancakes. Who does she think she is? Waking me up against my will."

You see, me and Jordynn have been living together for half a year or so. I met her in the coffeeshop where I used to work, she would always come in and ask the most complicated order ever. So to spite her, I would usually write her name on the cup in increasingly horrible ways. After a while though, I started to become fond of her and whenever I thought she was having a bad day, I would write encouraging messages on the cup, along with her misspelled name of course. You just don't break traditions, you know?

I knew her for a month or so when she came into the shop to do some project for school. She sat there all alone in a secluded booth when a guy dropped by and started talking to her. At first I didn't think anything about it but after a while, I just couldn't help but listen in for a little. It seemed to me like the guy was bugging her and wouldn't go away so I decided to help her out.

I took a cup filled with steaming coffee that was freshly brewed and I started making my way towards her table. Just before I reached the two of them, I pretended to stumble and I spilled the hot drink on his shirt. "Can't you look where you are going?" He practically screamed at me while looking at his ruined shirt. "I-I'm so sorry sir, It wasn't- I didn't mean to do this on purpose." I spoke up softly. Man, I knew that those acting classes would become usefull one day or another. "It's okay, just- just get out of my way." He groaned in frustration.

"Sucker." I mumbled for only myself to hear as he walked away towards the bathroom stall. "Hey, Jordynn right? Are you okay there?" I asked after cleaning up the mess I made. "Yeah, I'm all good but thanks a lot. He stuck to me as an octopus to your face."

"It's no problem at all, I'll give you a drink on the house for causing that scene." I said, already starting to walk away to get her a drink.

"Are you kidding me? What you did was hilarious and besides, I should be the one thanking you. Wait a second, What's your name again?"

"Eleonor" I replied while I was already thinking about how I was going to explain what happened to my boss.

"Okay Eleonor, here's the deal. I will take you to a party tonight and pay you some drinks so that we're even. Is that a good idea?" She suggested.

"Yeah, sounds good to me. Here is my phone number so you can call me whenever you're ready to go."

We were an hour into the party. Jordynn and I already had plenty of drinks making the conversation topics weirder and weirder. At one point or another, I lost track of time because of all the liquor that got to my head, she asked me if I wanted to hit a blunt.

I said that I wasn't sure but she told me to loosen up and live a little. I can still remember her telling me that she was going to make me the most badass girl this town had ever known and at that point she had me convinced. I don't recall how whe got home that night but I can surely tell you that I had a hell of a hangover.

Ever since that night we've been close friends, completely opposites nonetheless but somehow, it works out.

Jordynn and I live together in a lighthouse because that's been a dream of hers for a long ass time. I was completely okay with it as long as I could help with the interior. The outcome of that is an abstract house with a colour scheme of mostly black and white but I wouldn't have it any other way. To me it has something calming that brings peace to my mind every time I look around the room.

When that lazy ass of hers was finally inside of the kitchen, I handed her a plate with blueberry pancakes and maple syrup. "I seriously doubt that I'll be able to finish my stack, you want some more?" I asked Jordynn.

"Hmh, woold luf toh" She replied in the midst of another bite. I knew I didn't have to ask her if she wanted my leftovers but I did it anyway. I always wondered how the girl could eat all the damned food she wants but never gain a single pound.

"I so need to go to the gym today" She said.

Yup, it would remain a complete mystery to me.

I have so many good memories with her, when we made the decision to install a slide in the lighthouse for example. We had been wanting to do that for such a long time. The moment it was finally ready to be used, we made a fort in there and slept in the slide. The morning after we both awoke on the floor however and I can't remeber a single moment in my life where I laughed harder than I had in that moment.

Or that time when we had the brilliant idea of getting drunk in the afternoon. It was a sunny day but it was freezing cold outside so her plan to do something that day was getting drunk and dancing to old music in the sunshine and warmth of our house. After that we got really hungry and I remember making the decision to make pasta because we were both in the mood for Italian that night. That didn't work out just the way I wanted it to so we ended up having pizza delivered to our house instead.

We also have some differences. She, for an instance, likes to listen to metal music of all sorts and while I try to make my homework, she blasts it on full volume throughout the house. That has resulted in many pillowfights but we also have had quite some jam sessions because when she is playing guitar and I recognize the song, I just can't help but sing along.

Differences didn't matter in those moments. We would be basking in the sunlight, singing our hearts out to our favorite songs.

The only thing that mattered was living in the moment and trying not to think to much about life and what was still to come. That's what I admired about Jordynn, she didn't have a care in the world. She used to tell me to ignore all the haters and to live in the moment while just doing my own thing.

So I did and as the days passed by and these moments faded into memories, I became more and more aware of what Jordynn's friendship had meant to me. I couldn't be more glad that I had a friend in my life like her and I knew I'd remember her forever.

--THE END--