Chapter Six

"After all these years Eds, you're still pretty chuckalicious I might say." I ruffled his hair. Jack was riding on my back.

"I told you Richie, don't call me Eds!" He complained. Oh, he looks so cute when he does that. Wait what?

Just then, I saw Stan sitting on a bench with Bill in his arms, crying. I stopped dead in my tracks as we awkwardly made eye contact. I raised my hand up and waved, "Hi." I muttered loud enough for him to hear.

Eddie and Jack looked over to see what I was looking at. Jack got off of my shoulders and hid behind me, hiding his face with my jacket, "I don't like him Richie. Make him go away." He whimpered.

I patted him on the head and walked over to where Stan was sitting, "Uhh, hey Stan, whatcha doin'?" By now, Bill was sitting up, rubbing his eyes. His cheeks were bright red from embarrassment.

"Nothing really, me and, uhh, Bill here, we're just talking. What about you and, uhh, Eddie and Jack over there?" He glanced behind me. Eddie was buying himself and Jack ice cream from the parlor.

"Us? Oh, uhh, we were just hanging out, y'know. Yeah..." I scratched at the back of my neck, staring at everything but Stanley Uris.

Stan grabbed me by the collar and pulled us close until his lips were next to my ear, "You wanna talk, alone?"

I nodded, "How about, uhh, six?" I checked my watch. It had to be before curfew at 7 because of the children going missing recently, one of them surprisingly, Bill's younger brother, Georgie.

"Sure. Just make sure you're not late, Tozier." He let go.

I walked back to Eddie and Jack and told them we were going home. I picked Jack up and lifted him onto my shoulders, "Testing, testing, we are about to take off in three, two, one, lift off!" I announced in my pilot voice and ran as fast as I could while tightly holding onto Jack's legs as he giggled and licked his ice cream happily.

What did I do to deserve this beautiful change in my life?

364 words