Chapter Two

A month had passed, and soon it was February. May was so excited for Valentine's day. In eighth grade, they get a special Dance for Valentine's Day. Jeffrey and May were going together. The dance was on Friday, which was only two days after Valentine's Day. To make this month even better, Peyton's birthday was on February 12th. May was excited for her birthday, because Peyton's last party was so much fun. But it was already the 10th, and she hadn't gotten an invitation or even heard Peyton talk about her plans for her birthday. She was starting to wonder if she wasn't invited to her party this year. She let the thought go because Peyton and May were super, super close. 

It was finally Valentine's Day and May was super excited to walk into school and give her friends their presents. She walked into her second period class after first period. She had already given Carly her gift before school, and was about to give Peyton hers. May scanned the math room for her, and then spotted her in the back of the classroom. She was about to walk over when she realized who she was standing with. Jeffrey. Before May interrupted them, She watched. She watched Peyton hand a red bag with hearts on it to Jeffrey. She watched Jeffrey take the bag and open it up to find an assortment of tiny chocolate hearts. She watched him smile and give Peyton a hug. Tears started to form in her eyes. May let the bag for Peyton slip out of her hands and fall to the ground. The only thing she could see were her best friend and her boyfriend hugging each other. The only thing she could hear was a buzzing sound in her head. She felt like she was about to pass out. May had forgotten that the bag she was holding for Peyton contained a fragile candle. The glass had shattered all over the floor. Jeffrey looked up when he heard the glass breaking as it fell. He looked at May, and his smile faded. He could see her eyes were red and watery. Peyton looked at her too. She looked at May with a sympathetic look on her face. May could tell, though, that part of her didn't feel sympathetic at all. That she wasn't sorry for giving Jeffrey a gift. That she wanted May to feel bad about herself. That she wanted May's boyfriend. 

All that May could think was, How could she do this to me? She couldn't process anything else that was happening. She saw Jeffrey. She walked up to him and opened her mouth to speak, but the only noise that came out was a heartbroken sob. He tried wrapping his arms around May to comfort her, but she just pulled away and ran to the bathroom. 

"What's wrong with May?" Carly asked, concerned. 

Jeffrey looked up at her. "Oh, it was nothing..." he replied. 

"That didn't look like nothing," Carly said back to him. 

"Trust me, it's nothing important." 

Peyton walked over to where the candle had dropped and looked through the bag. May had also gotten her some chocolate and a rainbow zebra stuffed animal. She picked them up, stuffed them into her bag, and walked over to where Carly and Jeffrey were standing. 

May washed her face off real quick and returned to class. She never wore any makeup so it was hard to tell if she had even cried. May sat down in her seat and then the math teacher said, "Today, you guys will be working with your groups on your project. You will be getting measurements for..." May just sat there and listened to her blab on about what to do. When she was done talking, she grabbed her backpack and sat at her group's table. 

Just to make Peyton look bad, May asked Carly, "Did you get an invitation to Peyton's birthday party? She said she was only inviting her close friends." she glared at Peyton. 

"No," Carly said. "Guess I'm not a close friend," she joked around.

"Yeah, I didn't get an invitation either, probably because I'm not a close friend either," May said angrily. "Is Jeffrey invited?" she asked sarcastically. 

"May, I'm sorry! But I can at least give him a gift as a friend!" She shouted at May. 

"And hug him too? Right in front of my face?!" she shouted back. 

Carly stood up and interrupted their arguing. "Guys, shut up before Mrs. Bond comes over!" 

May rolled her eyes and sat down. "Why don't you take him to the dance," she whispered to herself, mimicking Peyton's voice.