Chapter 43 || Reassurance

Natalie's Pov

"Are you feeling any better?" I asked Johnathan, who was now standing up in the parlor.

He smirked and nodded. "I am now. Man that took a lot out of me. Is your mother ready?"

"Yes," I said. I was still a bit iffy about all this vampire compulsion stuff. It just didn't see right making people do things against their own will. And I still wondered if he ever used it on me,

"Natalie," Johnathan said, resting a hand on my shoulder. "I never used it on you."

I stared into his eyes and felt my face get hot. Part of me knew he was telling the truth. But the other part was cautious. But he has never had any reason to lie to me. He never lied to me... at least not that I know of.

"I know... it's just," I begin.

He placed a hand on my cheek and laid his forehead against mine. "No, I know you believe I've used it on you. But I never did. Ever. Never even thought about it. I would never use compulsion on someone to make them like me."

I felt a bit shaky under his touch. I found myself wanting him to kiss me every time we were this close to each other. My mind went back to the cemetery, when I almost lost him. When I almost lost my life. What would've happened if everything wouldn't of went down like it did that night? I probably wouldn't even be here today. And my mother would've been grieving the loss of her only child. I sighed mentally at the thought. Life was indeed interesting ever since I've met this guy.

"Natalie... I really do care a lot about you. Please believe that. I've proved it many times. When we first met and the time I told you I would protect you against anything, I meant it. I've got you," he reassured me once more.

I nodded without a word, allowing his words to sink into my heart and mind. I've got you.

Those were the words I loved to hear coming from him for some reason. It felt to me as though they were true. He meant everything he said.

"I'm sorry if I've ever doubted you," I whispered, burying my face in his chest. "It's just... everything that's happened has got me rattled."

He held me in silence. I loved being in his arms. They were home to me.

"Now, we must get your mother to the airport and see her off safely," he added, holding me arms length.

I nodded, courage restored. This was going to get interesting and harder, I could feel it.