Chapter Thirteen

Holly rounded the corner and stopped dead when she spotted Logan standing at the opposite end of the corridor speaking with Crowley. She frowned as she watched them. Logan seemed agitated and Crowley looked saddened by whatever it was they were discussing. She frowned as she studied them. As far as they knew, Logan and Crowley didn't know one another well. Their first close meeting was when Logan came to speak to him about Ranger Paul and Seacliff.

Yet, as she watched them the conversation seemed very personal. It appeared as if they knew one another well. Crowley shook his head and slashed a hand through the air as if he'd heard enough and that was an end to the discussion.

Holly quickly ducked into a small alcove nearby as he turned to come back down the hallway. She held her breath when she heard them approaching, Logan following him down the corridor, pleading as he tried to convince Crowley of whatever his cause was.

"This isn't any easier for me than it is for you, Logan. You must let it be though. You know I would change things if I could, but I can't and for that I'm sorry. Things will remain as they are."

"Why after all this time would it matter to let the truth be known? For everyone to know?"

Crowley blew out a weary breath. "Because it would affect the lives of many people. You know we are not the only ones who would have to deal with the consequences. Let it be, I'm begging you. I cannot help you with this."

Holly remained hidden in the alcove as Crowley's footfalls echoed down the corridor, fading away. She gazed out between the separation in the curtains that hid the little alcove. Logan stomped in a tight circle, cursing. He then did something unexpected, he slammed his fist into the wall. She slapped a hand over her mouth to muffle her shocked gasp.

Logan was cursing his stupidity, shaking out his now sore hand, when he heard a small noise from behind the nearby curtain. He reached forward and whipped back the curtain, blinking in surprise when he discovered a blushing Holly.

"Holly, what are you doing?"

"Would you believe I'm waiting for my secret lover?"

He arched a brow at her.

Her shoulders slumped. "I'm rather disappointed you didn't buy that excuse. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to listen but the two of you were intent on your conversation and I didn't want to interrupt! I had no idea you'd stop in front of this exact spot!"

With a groan he turned from her. "It's fine. It doesn't matter because he simply doesn't want to hear what I have to say."

She wrapped her hand gently around his injured one and smiled. "You really shouldn't have hit the wall, it's stone you know."

A smile lit his face. "So I've very recently discovered."

"Look, I don't know what the two of you were discussing but it obviously means a great deal to you. I'm sorry Crowley didn't want to listen." Her curiosity was poking at her to ask the dozens of questions bouncing around inside her head. To find out what they had been discussing, but it really wasn't any of her affair.

"So am I. I had hoped ..." He shook his head. "Never mind, it doesn't matter." He seemed to push it back as if dismissing the importance of what he'd been discussing with Crowley.

"Hey, if you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here you know? For now, let's go get your hand fixed up."

Without warning, he pulled her close and hugged her tightly. "Thanks, Holly. I think I needed that right now."

Stunned by the unexpected hug, she blinked up at him in mute shock when he released her. It wasn't the fact that he hugged her, it was the sudden swarm of butterflies that invaded her stomach when he held her close that stunned her. The feeling confused her and she could only nod at him and smile like a dope, her voice seemed to have suddenly found somewhere else it needed to be just now.