Look After You

"Well, I've decided to let her go, Linda." Lucifer states, his mouth pressed into a hard line waiting for the therapist's response.

"Why did you do that?"

"She deserved better and I'm me."

"Lucifer,"

"But I did tell her the truth. I told her I love her," Linda nods, "and that we can't be anything beyond friends. From the sharp looks she gave me, and the fact that she still doesn't believe I'm the Devil, I think it went rather well. She'll be her, I'll be me."

"You look disappointed. What did she say?"

"She didn't say anything. I just want her to believe me, Doctor. So that she could understand why I had to do what I did."

"Then show her."

"I can't. She's stressed enough as it is. Which is also the reason why I vacated my role as her civilian consultant."

"You're still afraid of how she might react," Linda concludes.

"Yes. Beyond terrified as a matter of fact. It appears that I've made her the center of my universe and I'm doing her more harm than good. Tell me, Doctor. How do I get out of her orbit?"

"Lucifer, I think the real question is, can you?"

"Whatever it takes."

"Then, why are you still here? In Los Angeles? Within reach?"

"I -"

"Lucifer, you have to trust Chloe. Give her the credit she deserves. She might surprise you."

Lucifer's phone vibrates and although phones weren't allowed during sessions, the good doctor lets him check who's on the other line.

From the surprised look on the Devil's face, Linda knew it was the detective.

"Told you so." The therapist responded when her patient confirmed who the call was from. "What are you waiting for? Pick up!"

He exited the room and answered the callc starting with "Detective," instead of 'Hello'.

xxxx

If I don't say this now
I will surely break
As I'm leaving the one I want to take
Forgive the urgency but hurry up and wait
My heart has started to separate

There now steady love
So few come and don't go
Will you won't you
Be the one I'll always know
When I'm losing my control
The city spins around
You're the only one who knows, you slow it down

-Look after you, The Fray