XXI

"Rana?" His voice called at the other end.

It hurt her phisically to hear him call her name. After a week of police interviews, panic attacks and worrying about both Adeel and Jiaz, here she sat on her bed, her husband calling her name.

She didn't know what to say.

Rana had formed so many conversations inside her head, the things she'd scream at him when she saw him.

But now the words remained unsaid.

"Yes?" She whispered, unsure if he even heard her.

"Please, come to see me."

The warehouse Adeel had been inhabiting for the past week was at the edge of Karachi.

Dust caked the soils Rana walked upon.

She pushed the squeaky wooden door of it, and stepped inside.

Barrels lay vertically around it, cobwebs in corners.
This was certainly not the luxury Adeel Ahmed had grown and lived into.

"Beggars can't be choosers, eh?" Adeel asked, appearing from the shadows of a corner.

Rana took in his appearance.

His shirt full of dirt and sweat patches, trousers rolled above his ankles and a his face sporting a heavier stubble and eyebags.

This wasn't her husband.

At least not on the outside.

But she couldn't judge his insides, because from where she was standing, she doubted she knew him at all.

"I know you're angry." He said, taking a few steps forward. "But please, Rana, let's not ruin us over this. What happened was an accident, it doesn't excuse anything, but i didn't mean for it to happen."

Adeel was now standing in front of her.

Despite the apologetic look in his face, Rana couldn't help but question his morals.
What sort man leaves another person to die out in the streets?

"We're both strong, we'll get through this. I have a few friends who owe me favours, i'll get them to organize a way to leave the country. Let's start again, Gul-e-Rana."

"What about Jiaz, the man you ran over? My boss?" She asked.

"I'll send him some money."

That triggered her anger.
She stepped away from him and scoffed, a look of sheer disgust on her face.

"I cannot believe that you could stoop so low. After all these claims of having changed, i believed you. I gave another chance, i came back." Rana's voice got louder. "But you're still the same coward you were once, but this time not only you ruined my life, but the one of others."

"Rana please-" He began.

"Goodbye Adeel Ahmed." She said.

The doors of the warehouse crashed open, and about 20 men dressed in police overalls ran inside.

Adeel Ahmed, I am arresting you. You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence."

And it him, she set him up.

👄

This is not the last chapter, but it is the ending to our couple's story.

Epilogue will be out before Saturday.