Epilogue

Hospitals all smelled the same.

They all looked the same too; white ceilings, white walls, blue curtains... There was always something beeping, also.

Doctors and nurses walked around hurriedly, clipboards in hands, visiting their patients and telling them their latest test results.

Detective John Cardinal thought about that as he looked through one of the hospital's room's doorway, watching over an unconscious girl, laying peacefully in the semi comfortable bed. IVs and machine were attached to her, and the monitor reading her stats quietly beeped. It was slow, but constant. Her arms, legs, and especially her head were wrapped in bandages, her skin scratched and bruised.

The corridor John was in was quiet. A few nurses passed by from time to time, but they were calm and relaxed. It was pretty late after all, most of the patients were asleep by now.

Hearing footsteps coming near him, Cardinal broke his gaze from the room and turned his head to his left. A small smile found his lips.

"Lise.", he said.

"John.", she answered, softly smiling too.

Lise Delorme was a tall athletic woman, with shoulder length blond hair, always tied up in a ponytail. She was friendly, but very professional, and good at what she did. She was John's colleague, and friend.

She stopped beside him, and also turned toward the dimly lit room. John looked back at the girl.

"You think she will be alright?", she asked.

He nodded.

"Yeah. She survived this far, and, it was quite the accident. We'll just have to wait and see."

"They still haven't found out who she was?"

He shook his head and pursed his lips.

"No. We don't have a name, and it doesn't look like she's in the record."

She hummed.

"Got anything with the car?"

John shook his head again.

"It was rented. I still don't know what they managed to salvage. She only had a little golden bracelet on her."

Lise nodded. She turned her head to her right.

"You should go and get some sleep, John. It was a long day. She'll be fine. The doctors said she was stable."

He looked down and she placed a hand on his shoulder. He smiled at her.

"You're right. I do feel tired."

She squeezed his shoulder and grinned again before walking away, telling him goodnight.

He sighed. Who was that girl? Will they ever find out? Will she ever even wake up? She suffered a serious head trauma, and the doctors didn't know completely how bad the damages were. They just had to wait and see.

Taking one last look at the (h/c) girl, John Cardinal sighed again, before finally leaving, going home.