Mt. Mayon

So remember when I said that a lot of Polynesian cultures anthropomorphize stuff that happen naturally, well do I have a story for you...though it's not really Polynesian per say, this takes place in the Philippines and the volcano recently erupted, but it's a really cute story of star crossed lovers. The story itself is relatively short, which is good because I like to talk.

So the story begins with a beautiful maiden, Magayon, lived in a place called Ibalon. She is the daughter of Makusog, the chief of the tribe and if this is starting to sound like the Psyche, don't worry. Many men come from all over to get a glance at her beauty. One of those suitors was Pagtuga (or Patuga in other versions), a warrior and the chief of Iraga.

In a bid to woo Magayon, Pagtuga brought her all kinds of gifts, like gold, jewels and other precious items. Magayon, however, was not moved by Pagtuga's kind gestures. 

One day while bathing the Yawa river, Magayon slipped and fell in. She started to drown because she didn't really know how to swim, or couldn't swim well ( there are many versions of this). Fortunately, a man named Pangaronon (or Ulap in other versions) was passing by the river and heard Magayon's plea for help. He saved her from drowning. The two really hit it off, and Pangaronon went to ask her father's for his blessing. Makusog, wanting but his daughter to be happy, gave a thumbs up for the wedding. 

News of the wedding reached Pagtuga, who then kidnapped Makusog. He threatened Magayon that he would kill her father if she refused to marry him.In order to save her father, Magayon agreed to marry Pagtuga.On the day of their wedding, Pangaronon went to the place of the wedding to try and take Magayon away from Pagtuga.A battle between Pagtuga and Pangaronon ensued. Pangaronon fatally struck Pagtuga. 

But as Pangaronon and Magayon were about to embrace each other, a poisoned arrow struck Magayon.Then, as Pangaronon was kneeling over the dying Magayon, Pagtuga's soldier stabbed him. After the dust cleared, Makusog had the two lovers buried together. Some years passed, and people noticed that the burial place was getting higher, creating Mt. Mayon. Awww...

Every time Mayon is about to erupt it is said that Patuiga is challenging Panganoron, while when the volcano is calm, Pangaronon was embracing Magayon. And I'm pretty sure I got the names wrong, but it's a very cute story...if you ignore all the death.