Extra: Mistletoe

Here are a couple of little extras I wrote that I wasn't really intending to post (because I never wrote more like I had planed) but decided to add them here for Valentine's, considering the second extra is Valentine's specific. ;]

Mistletoe: the quintessential tale of Lelouch and Suzaku's first kiss. And how Lelouch learns to appreciate a wrongly romanticized plant. (Rated Mature)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Extra: Mistletoe

December 2021

Japanese Royal Palace.

Winter weather is already in full swing.

Snow is dripping heavily from the dark evening sky outside and the frosty air bears a sharp bite that has nipped the tip of Lelouch's nose and rubbed his cheeks into apples. Even traveling through the palace he hits pockets of cold since such grand, expansive buildings like these are difficult to maintain a consistent temperature throughout - especially because it's mostly made up of corridors and verandas rather than traditional blocked homes. When he enters their private rooms he is greeted warmly by the smoky heat of crackling flames in the fireplace carved right through the wall dividing the lounge from the study, its heat filling both rooms simultaneously. What catches Lelouch's attention is the tender, quiet dance of a specific kind of music through the air - Suzaku is a sucker for Christmas tunes even though he didn't grow up celebrating the holiday.

The Japanese prince himself appears quickly in the threshold of the study - where he's been undoubtedly hard at his own princely work - with a bright smile; dressed in khaki slacks and a forest-green woolen sweater that's a little loose on his frame and has white trees stitched across the chest in a row.

"Welcome home!" Suzaku says as he steps lightly through the lounge to peck Lelouch's lips. "Have a good day?"

Lelouch noncommittally shrugs as he removes his velvet black blazer - his overcoat and scarf taken by a butler at the palace entrance. His day overall was ordinary.

"I bet I can make it better for you." Suzaku's grinning words practically lick along Lelouch's skin.

'Oh?' the Britannian asks as he loosens his silver-diamond tie, letting his lips take a frisky shape.

"I have something for you." Suzaku nods. "Go ahead and sit down and I'll bring it to you."

Don't have to tell Lelouch twice.

He leaves his jacket on the back of the chair beside the couch as he often does - where it'll likely stay until the laundry round every morning by the maids - and unlocks the first few buttons of his pearly-iridescent silk shirt as he sits. A silver tray with a steaming kettle and a cup is already waiting for him on the table and so Lelouch contently pours himself a small serving to warm his body - more importantly, warm his lips. Neither prince has ever kept attendants around as it preserves their privacy, something that was imperative to hiding their relationship is now crucial to their marriage, but Suzaku always has a little something waiting for Lelouch when he comes home. Only, once he begins pouring does he learn it isn't coffee. It's hot chocolate.

Well, that would explain the small bowl of marshmallows that aren't sugar cubes.

"Close your eyes~." Suzaku sings with his brown-haired head poking from the side of the door of their study.

Lelouch complies with a wry smile, reclining against the couch without his cocoa and feels Suzaku kneel beside him on the couch.

And then a small, light-weight something is rested on his lap.