Chapter 2 - She's a Hunter

„ Goddamnit Ez get ready we need to go.“ Tomson couldn’t wait to get out and stay up the whole night, like always. It was the 11.th of October 2009 and Vampire Weekend’s 2nd  Album “Contra” was almost done. So the band, basically us, Rotsam, Chris and Tomson decided to go out to one of our favorite clubs around New York to celebrate our almost finished Record. Tomson ( I decided to call him by his surname since we had another Chris in the band, Chris Baio.) was rushing through his small flat near Central Park, throwing on and off various Shirts, man, he was even worse in deciding what to wear when it came to going out for the night.

“You’re telling me to get ready dude, I’ve been standing here waiting for you to decide what shirt to wear. I’m ready to go” Tomson stopped for a second standing in the corridor, than he clapped himself on the forehead. “ Goddamn  Ez, I think I should talk to your mum. I just can’t stop projecting my own feeling onto others…” “My mum is a therapist who basically helps couples so… well get a girl and maybe you can talk to her” Tomson laughed at me as he finally had decided to wear a simple blue V-Neck shirt. I rolled my eyes as I thought about him making such a big effort for such a simple shirt.

It was 10pm and Tomson and I caught a subway to get to the club. “ Rotsam just texted me,he and Chris are already in front of the club” “ Well of course they are Tomson, we’re 30 mins to late because you….oh well let’s just let it be, I can’t wait to celebrate with you.”

We got out of the subway at our station and rushed to the club. I couldn’t believe I was actually looking forward to party the whole night til dawn, I remember myself sitting somewhere in the corner of a club, drinking beer and being bored to death cause I just wouldn’t feel able to talk to people. I wanted to have fun and dance too, but I just wouldn’t be able to come out of my shell. I was the most awkward guy on college, thinking about making movies and writing music all the time, it got a bit better during the university years but I still was hella weird…. And then, when Me and the other guys formed Vampire Weekend something in me changed rapidly. Singing in front of people who actually appreciated what I did gave me a new view on myself and I won a lot of self-confidence during the last 2 years. Tomson, who knew me from the beginning from college sometimes called me “Arze” instead of Ezra because oh god, like every newbie Rockstar does I got into that ‘getting girls by using my fame’ – thing and there was quiet a phase where I would take girls home every weekend. Thank god I stopped doing it, thinking about it now makes me feel really awkward. Though I wouldn’t say now to a sweet and good looking girl walking by…if…she’d ask.

So now that I was a new Ezra, a self-confident Ezra with nice hair ( I really love my hair ) I was looking forward to have some fun with my friends.

We met Chris and Rotsam infront of the club, as suddenly Rotsam told us to walk after him and we walked a couple of meters as he turned into a small corner of the street. “What is it man…what’s up?” I asked him looking at him eager cause I couldn’t wait to get into the club. “ Well do you really want us to smoke pot right in front of all these people?” Rotsam smiled as he handed a Joint over to me. Now I had to laugh as well and so did the rest of our little band group. So we stood behind these giant dustbins getting high as hell. “ Aww man I feel like we’re back on college” Tomson said, laughing at me with an awkward bigh smile. “Thank god we’re not…remember how awkward and shy I was back then…”

At 11pm we finally got to get into the club. There was ‘Someday’ from the Strokes on and I just looked at Tomson with a smile, we couldn’t wait to get some drinks and finally let go the pressure and effort we had laying on our backs the last month producing the album.

Later that night

After several drinks and a lot of girls wanting to talk to me and asking for my number (surely because they knew I was that guy from Vampire Weekend..) I decided to take a look into the mirror and walked towards the men’s bathroom who was placed right next to the Ladies’ one. I started to feel tired. I shouldn’t smoke weed on these kind of nights, I always got tired after some time and I started to feel kinda dizzy now.

I splashed some water into my face and checked if my hair was still looking good and went out to the corridor again, still feeling tired.

Suddenly my eyes widened and I could feel my heart beat in an unregularly way as my eyes streaked the glimpse of a girl walking towards me. Her hair was long and beautiful brown, but messy as hell. She had put in some golden pearls and white flowers in it and her messy hair would just hold them by itself. She walked towards me and as she was most close to me she looked me right into my green eyes, though hers were even greener than mine, a light, hypnotizing green. That moment we looked at each other, it felt like forever. It felt like time had stopped. And I know she looked me in the eyes, I know she looked me right into my eyes like she knew me.

As she walked by I could smell a sweet but seductive scent and her hair stroked my face for one second. Then she disappeared into the bathroom…

I couldn’t help myself. I was just standing there in the middle of this tight, bad exposed corridor and felt completely paralyzed.

I stood there for several minutes trying to understand what just had happened. Never ever before was I so charmed by a girl simply looking me into my eyes for the fraction of a second? I still stood there, shaking my head and finally made it to move my feet forward and back to my friends again.

Back in the big dance hall of the club I was desperately searching for Rotsam,Chris or Tomson…. But none of them could I find. A bit confused about finding myself all alone in this club, not knowing where the guys had gone to and not being able to forget this weird but impressing situation on the corridor I just walked towards the bar again, ordering another drink

Damn Ezra, you’re here now all alone, are you just going to get drunk even more now, waiting for someone to talk to you? I thought to myself but suddenly was torn out of my thoughts as I felt a soft hand touching my neck, and an arm laying itself down around my shoulders.

“Wow Ezra, you’ve changed so much since University” I heard a voice saying. As I turned around the first thing I saw were beautiful pale lips smiling at me, then  sparkling green eyes and long messy brown hair. It took me a couple of seconds until I was able to realize what was going on. Then I recognized this beautiful face belonged to the girl I just saw on the corridor. That close to me, she was even more stunning.

But…why did she know my name? Why did she come over to me, touching me and laying her arms around me like she had known me for ages? “Since University” she said…

I took a quick but closer look at her (it was almost painful to look at her, knowing she was too beautiful to stay with me….for a drink…) Beautiful eyes, pale lips and skin….flowers in that brown tousled hair….sweet voice…

And then, suddenly it was clear to me :

This girl was Hannah. The girl I hadn’t seen for 5 years. That girl everybody wanted to be with back then. The girl who all of a sudden never was seen at University again.That girl that I could’ve just starred for hours back in these days. That girl I never had the guts to talk to. That girl that was now, standing in front of me, even more beautiful than in my memories…..Hannah…. Hannah Hunt, how everybody used to call her…Hannah Hunt.