Unbreakable ( colourful ribbons)

The evening sun had turned orange, and it looked like an egg yolk, right above the water. The sky was turning into a deeper shade of blue, as night was on its way to cover the whole sky, and make it dark.

The children who played around the village river, ran up to their houses, as an old myth about how the river monster would eat them up, if they stayed past six, was still a fresh and frightening story for them.

"Dada ( big brother ) it's getting dark " said an eight and a half year old krishu to his fourteen year old brother, Amol.

"It always does, isn't it?" Amol says, as he looks at his worried brother with a smirk.

"If we stay here for too long, Sapasur will eat us up " krishu innocently tells his brother who is busy sharpening a bamboo stick with the help of a sharp knife on the river bank.

Amol puts his left hand on his knee, looks at krishu and starts laughing "Now who is Sapasur?" Amol asks

krishu wispers to his brother, like in the fear to be heard by someone " The river monster" he says,

Amol puts his head back and starts laughing more, "That's the story, I grew up with and I haven't seen a monster yet, well that name is hilarious to me " he says, as he stands up and dusts the dust from his clothes.

"Where is Bahnu? , Bahnu!!" Amol calls out to his four year old sister, who seems to have been collecting colourful dirty ribbons on the side of the river. Amol goes running towards her, and holds her from behind, and picks her up, "look at her, she's picking dirty ribbons like a beggar " Amol says with a digusted face.

"I am not taking you home if you won't throw it......Bhanu throw it" He insists, as the little one fights and nags to take her collection home.

Meanwhile krishu finds a small black plastic packet, right where Amol had been seated, he picks it up and turns it around to examine it, but krishu is unable to say what it really is, so he holds it up in the air and shows it to Amol " Dada see what I found " he says.

As soon as Amol sees that packet in krishu's hand, his agitated look after Bhanu's nagging turns into a worried look . He runs towards krishu and snatches it from his hand.

"Don't bother, it's nothing" he says,

Amol hands their unhappy little sister to krishu and takes the packet near a familiar tree and starts digging a little portion of the mud and puts it inside and covers it up with mud.

"I burried that infront of you, you better not say it to anyone, that is, if you don't want to get beaten up by me, okay? " Amol tells krishu.

Krishu very much surprised with his brother's reaction, nods at his brother in agreement.

The three siblings then head their way home. Walking back home Amol has carried Bhanu on his shoulders and krishu seems way worried than he already was.

"I will walk in front" krishu says,

Amol laughs at his little brother's timidness and says,

"because you're scared that Sapasur might follow you and eat you up?"

"Don't take his name", krishu says as he quickly comes in front of Amol and says " yes" after a gasp, admitting his frightened state.

Amol by now is laughing so hard that Bhanu who is sitting on top of his shoulders, is getting unnecessarily bounced by her brother, she gives a quick baby screem and makes him apologise for her inconvenience.

"Sorry Bhannu" Amol says,

he then looks at Krishu's frightened face, puts his right hand on top of his head and says

" To eat you, he needs to eat me first, okay".

Krishu looks at his brother, with a much relaxed look and nods.

After a few walks krishu feels more confident as he sees his mother on the doorsteps of their house, in a little distance from where they were.

Authors Note

The bond between siblings are an unbreakable bond. There is love in every "I hate you" and fights are just another memory to narrate.
Stay tuned, till the story completely uncovers itself in front of you.