Going Away

Days after the event of Día del Amor y la Amistad, I was in high spirits and I'm pretty sure nothing could dampen it.

Until...

"Pack your bags Angelita, we are going back to the states!"

If I hadn't swallowed up all of the water I had just sipped, o could have spat it out in shock.

"Why are we going back?! I thought we are contented to stay here?" Abuelito huffed "Oh mija, we aren't really going back. A friend of mine just died and her family wants us to join the funeral" I nodded.

"How long are we gonna stay?" Maria asked "Well, about 4 to 7 days" Antoine's eyes widen.

"That's about a week stay!"

I blocked out any argument when I turned to stare at the Rivera Household. How am I going to break this to Miguel?

***

Okay Angelita you can do this! Just knock on the gate, ask for Miguel and tell him the news. Simple as that!

The only problem is that if you have the guts to do that.

I groaned. This is getting ridiculous, Miguel is my best friend and he would understand that I wouldn't leave for no reason.

But Hector left his family and never came back.

I swear my thoughts are going against me and the more I waste my time standing on the gate, the more nervous I become. Gathering my courage before I chicken out, I knocked on the gate three times before Abuelito Franco opened the gate and was stunned but joyous to see me.

"Hola Angelita, you want to see Miguel?" I chuckled nervously and nodded before Abuelito Franco called out for Miguel and sure enough, he came running out with a huge smile on his face. Abuelito Franco winked at me before he left the two of us.

"Hey Miguel, can we talk for a bit?"

Miguel nodded as we slowly began to make our way to the plaza "What is it that you want me here for?" Miguel ask and I opened my mouth to answer when he gave me that one dimple smile that made all speeches in my mouth disappear.

"Miguel, there's trouble in the states and by trouble I mean a friend of my Abuelito died just recently and we are asked to go back for a week stay so..."

I trailed off when I said that when I saw shock and slight horror enter his eyes "You'll come back right?" Miguel asked and I nodded and sighed "This announcement shocks me too and the entire family but what can we do?" I was completely unaware of the emotional turmoil Miguel was having.

"What's wrong?" I ask when I finally noticed the silence reigning in Miguel "I don't mind you going, I just mind you being so far away from us, from me..." I bit my lip before grasping his hands "When will you leave?" Miguel asked.

"Afternoon at dusk"

I answered sadly and he tightened his grip on me "Let's forget about it and enjoy the time we have left Miguel" Miguel smiled before we raced off towards the plaza with smiles on our faces, completely forgetting the fact that I was leaving in the back of our minds.

***

Dusk was beginning to settle in and Miguel and I headed back to my home.

"You should probably head back to yours"

Miguel shook his head "I don't want to leave you now knowing that you are going away" I smiled at him sadly as we enteredthe gates to the Gonzalez household only to see a shocking sight. If the fact that all the Riveras are there having a small party with the Gonzalez.

"There you two are, we made a small party as a last get together before they leave for a long time"

Luisa said with a smile though I saw sadness in her eyes and made an effort to comfort her by hugging her and rubbing her pregnant stomach. We all had dinner together and the Riveras even helped us in the train station.

I gave Miguel a small smile "See you in a week" Miguel grinned before holding out a neatly woven bracelet.

"I got this from our latest "adventure" in Dia de Muertos. I thought you might like it, I got mine as well" I gratefully wrapped it around me.

It was a silver guitar in the center with skeletal designs around the bracelet.

The train hooted, signalling for the last call. With a heavy heart, I gave Miguel one last hug before running inside the train.

Sitting down on a seat beside Mama, I clutched my bracelet tight as if it was the only thing anchoring me.

I was leaving my best friend.

"ANGELITA!"

I jumped up and turned to the window and saw Miguel running after the train or is it me?

"I'll sing a song for your return Angelita!" I smiled before yelling out, placing my body outside that Mama had to grasp the hem of my dress.

"Don't forget to write!"

I called as Miguel waved goodbye and I stayed longer before his figure disappeared into the smoke of the train.

Promise me you'll write to me.